Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
918 Posts
You know, I'm going to be the devil's advocate, for a moment. I use my MSR for hunting, all year round, for predators, varmints and pest species. It's very humid, here, in North Florida, and a couple weeks with a fired rifle, uncleaned, still makes a mess of the cartridge in the chamber. When you eject it, it comes out all brown, and dirty.

IMO, the combination of bad powder, being told they didn't have to clean the "space age" rifle, the un-chromed chamber, and the wet environment all contributed to horrific jams in early M-16s. I've seen the result of just a few days of humidity, and a dirty chamber. I can easily imagine the catastrophic failure involved, with two other contributing factors.

·
Premium Member
16,681 Posts
I think that the folks who appreciate the M16 are also the ones who in addition to using the rifle, also had to carry it and it's ammo with them. I can tell you an M14 would have be too much for me in addition to toting 2 30+ pound vehicle radios around our TOC site to do repairs or replacements, not to mention a load of cold weather gear to keep from freezing to death each winter.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I carried the M-16 with three prong flasher,I carried it for about ten months of my tour. I humped the M-14 about two and a half months.RVN USMC 0311,68/69.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts