Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
To my knowledge, never. The U.S. style "fighting knife" made by Kabar, Camillus, Ontario and I am sure others is far more common. Randall's were once popular with the Fort Bragg set. I still have the Gerber (dagger) I carried in the service thirty plus years back.

Other than the WWII OSS/Commando connection its not on my radar screen.

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
Col. Rex Applegate was a member of our local gun club, one time we talked about the Sykes Fairburn knife. He said one of the big problems with it was the round grip which made it too easy to twist in the hand when it got liquids on it and also made it difficult to index in the dark. That was one reason the Applegate Fairbairn knife had a different handle configuration.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Perhaps the "cool" factor? The V-42 is very similar. Nowadays there are many very fine designs available. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Very popular after WW II Lots of them sold . Korea and Vietnam saw them in used along with Randall Knives. . Always has enjoyed some popularity. Esp the ones with the Boot Sheath

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Knives with a bad ass look are always popular with a certain segment of the population.

I wouldn't call the Sykes knives really popular.

These are popular: Millions sold and still being sold. The average guy is the big buyer and the average guy just wants a good knife at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
As someone who learned forestroke/backstroke, I've never had much interest in single edged blades. Fairbairn/Applegate is about as good as it gets for a "useful" dagger shape.

And yes, indexing is a b**ch with a round grip.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Verminator, that used to be one of my favorite camping knives 'way back in the day. Still got it. Still works just fine. Good knife.

I'm familiar with the S-F knife but it never appealed to me for the reasons that Bearcat6 stated. There are many better designs available today. .

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Verminator, that used to be one of my favorite camping knives 'way back in the day. Still got it. Still works just fine. Good knife.

I'm familiar with the S-F knife but it never appealed to me for the reasons that Bearcat6 stated. There are many better designs available today. .
Yes, the Buck 119 is truly popular across a wide segment of those who engage in outdoor activities. The more experienced hunters and trappers probably end up with the 118.......another popular knife.

Reactions: Beinglis23

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
I don't use my Buck much anymore but it remains one of my favorite knives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts