Smith And Wesson Forums banner
61 - 80 of 128 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Looking at all the great pics brought up a question (no pic) Bought a M66 new w/4" barrel. Worked great on the job. Now retired. Local shop had 6" SS barrel so bought it. Original pinned--6" too. When screwing in 6" do threads engage only one location? Tried a large bolt and nut marking each. Tried threading together several times--always the same place. Same for S&W revolvers? Would seem so. Pics show many barrel changes so maybe you know .
Thanks, Thor

· Registered
9 Posts
Model 30-1
Looking at all the great pics brought up a question (no pic) Bought a M66 new w/4" barrel. Worked great on the job. Now retired. Local shop had 6" SS barrel so bought it. Original pinned--6" too. When screwing in 6" do threads engage only one location? Tried a large bolt and nut marking each. Tried threading together several times--always the same place. Same for S&W revolvers? Would seem so. Pics show many barrel changes so maybe you know .
Thanks, Thor
that I’m no help with I’m so sorry sounds like you know more about that than me, sorry

· Registered
84 Posts
View attachment 576963
View attachment 576962

I just picked up my first S&W Model 629 Classic with a 6 1/2" barrel. I added a set of Hogue grips, because I didn't care for the rubber grips that came stock on the revolver. I'm looking forward to my first range trip.
Gesture Household hardware Gas Nickel Metal

Bought this last winter. Had a trigger job done on it as well shoots lights out. Better than my other model 29's.

· Registered
3,364 Posts
The threads do not always engage the same. Often times the shroud around the barrel needs to have a few thousandths removed on a lathe for the correct fit. Then the barrel may need cut to get the correct barrel/cylinder gap. Not a job for the inexperienced.

And, the ejector rod may need attention after all that because, in effect, you have shortened the barrel.

When I converted my S&W Model 28-2 from 36 caliber to 45 caliber I used a new shorter cylinder. The barrel needed to be set back almost two turns just to meet the cylinder. Of course it needed the full two turns for the front sight to register at 12 O’Clock. I used a file, I don’t recommend that.

Kevin

61 - 80 of 128 Posts