Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm truly at a loss.

I currently carry UV marking pepper spray. I doubt though that any police officer would care enough to whip out a UV light to try and ID an attacker that took a dose of hot sauce then ran off.

How's your experience with green dye marking spray? Fox Labs Mean Green.

I recently ordered some for the wife to carry.

My thinking is "bad guy gets a dose, runs off, easy ID later when we make a report."

Or would he be more likely to want revenge since he's painted green for a week or so and clothes badly stained?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I've used...maybe 50 cans of 'Freeze Plus P' pepper spray.

50?

Yes, I cycled for years in the Texas countryside daily (minimum ride 25 miles and often more than twice that) where a lot of irresponsible dog owners let their 'land sharks' wander free to attack anyone on foot or bike. Either Pits, Rotts, German Sheps, Chow Chows, among many and big mixed breeds at times came after me and attacked almost every ride I went on. Go enough miles and you'll come across some areas that dangerous dogs roam that love to come after cyclists. It was always an adventure...

I tried a lot of different brands of pepper sprays over the years including Fox labs mixtures.

My favorite: Freeze Plus P in a 4 oz spray canister held in a belt holster for quick deployment, designed just for this size canister and contains not only capsicum pepper with a super high Scovil rating but, (forgot the exact rating number) also contains tear gas in some sort of blended mixture with the capsicum. It too has some kind of marking stuff in it, but that never interested me. Stopping these assaulting/attacking dogs was all I cared about.

It did the job admirably, but be careful in it's use. This stuff is so powerful if it gets on just 'unblemished bare skin', it feels like you've been hit with a blow torch. My wife got some on her accidentally just before we were to leave on a cycle outing. It only hit a small patch on her neck, but she was in so much pain she canceled going with me for a cold shower and had to lay down for the rest of the day.

That's when I did some research and found Sudecon decontamination wipes. They're like a wet wipe, but contain some sort of chemical that quickly neutralizes the burn pretty damn quickly. From the moment I discovered them, I bought a goodly amount of them and always/always carried them with me. If you got some of the spray in your eyes (or anywhere else of course ) but for eyes, you can squeeze these wipes and droplets will ooze out to drop into your burning eyes and presto, the burn is gone.

I found when an attacking dog (not little dogs, only dangerously big land shark dogs) came after me, I would spray just above their eyes in a Z like Zorro pattern stroke (and only when they were behind me) and I would hit the mucous membranes and the attack would stop immediately. Sometimes the dogs would try to remove the pain by scraping their heads into the pavement or grass forgetting all about me...btw, doing this to a dog isn't injurious, just temporarily painful...

If the dogs were fast enough to get ahead of me I wouldn't spray. (back spray is something to avoid) I would slow down and then they would get very close, as in next to me and thinking they could now bite me while I pedaled and bam, I'd hose em...bye bye vicious attacking sht bird..ah dog. This wasn't the best of scenarios as when that happened, I would often get the spray on my legs...aaaaahhhh. Sudecon wipes...down the road.

There's more in it's use, but you get the gist...

·
Registered
34,702 Posts
I'm truly at a loss.

I currently carry UV marking pepper spray. I doubt though that any police officer would care enough to whip out a UV light to try and ID an attacker that took a dose of hot sauce then ran off.

How's your experience with green dye marking spray? Fox Labs Mean Green.

I recently ordered some for the wife to carry.

My thinking is "bad guy gets a dose, runs off, easy ID later when we make a report."

Or would he be more likely to want revenge since he's painted green for a week or so and clothes badly stained?
Why are you trying to mark someone? If they are a real threat, shoot them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts