Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that's looking at getting a new shotgun, he's torn between the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870. I'm impartial to the 870 because I own one, but I thought y'all would have better insight than me. If there's a brand you think is better tell me that and I'll mention it to him. Thanks!

· Registered
755 Posts
I have a mossberg 500 got it decked out with an ati kit. I have it for home defense but I like to shoot it too. There's just something about that big boom. I don't think you could go wrong with an 870 either. Can't wear either of em out they just get better over time. Tell him to get whichever one he thinks is pertier and shoot the heck out of it. Ps I got two barrels for mine.

· Registered
421 Posts
i have four Remington 1100s ...
and three 870s ...
i like them all .
but the 1100 steals my heart . .. because all it is ...______ is a soft shooting.self pumping 870.
just buy an older 870 or better yet an older 1100.
i try to find them from the late 60s ..
that's all i have to say about that ..

peabody

· Registered
4,107 Posts
Hi CW, I have one of each. The 870 is for doves and the 500 is a home defense. Just worked out that way. I like both of them and both are good enough for their intended purpose.

Reactions: Hellbent

· Registered
23,304 Posts
When I did gunsmithing I had to repair a few 870's in my life & a whole lot of Mossbergs. The 870 is a lot smoother & parts are more readily available. There are countless variations of the Mossberg 500 & parts aren't interchangeable. The Army buys whatever is the lowest bid. If I couldn't get an Ithaca 37 I'd buy the 870.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 Persuader 12 gauge with an ATI stock. The 8 round capacity makes it very effective. The ATI stock absorbs a lot of recoil. Never fired a Remington. I hear they are the two most popular and I would guess for a good reason.

· Super Moderator
19,645 Posts
I have a couple Remington 1100's and a couple of Mossberg 500's. 3 are stock and one of my 500's is totally rebuilt for HD.
If I get an opportunity to pick un an 870 for a decent price I won't hesitate. If he's going birding with it the 870 is my choice.
If it's strictly for home defense, I'd pick the Mossberg. I wouldn't feel all that bad if I was to lose a $200 Mossberg, but losing a $400 Remington might bother me a bit.
Either shotgun will suit both needs quite well. But if I was to choose only one, I guess it would be the 870.

Regards,
Gregory

· Registered
320 Posts
Skeet shooting and other target shooting is what he plans on. I want to try and talk him into turkey hunting.
CW1027:

If the primary purpose for the gun is clay targets, the 870 is a much better choice. It will work on turkeys, doves, and other game too.

FWIW, I picked up a well used and cosmetically challenged Ithaca model 37 Featherlight at an auction earlier this year. I paid more than I should have ($275) but I wanted it and it was coming home with ME. I spent another $17.50 + shipping for a left handed safety.

Model 37's are Ithaca's pump gun. They are called Featherlight's because they weigh less than most other hunting guns. That's exactly why I bought it. However, less mass means more recoil so 37's are less than ideal for shooting volumes of clay targets.

Current MSRP for a standard 12 or 20 ga. Model 37 Featherlight is $980. Their home defense version is $800, and the Deerslayer (slug guns) run $1000 to $1200.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.