Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a co-worker interested in 2 rifles of mine but not too sure what they're worth.

1): PTR 91(.308) with cheap bipod, Muzzle Brake(not sure which one, previous owner had it installed), Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 with Burris P.E.P.R. 1 piece rings mounted with a UTG steel Claw Mount, and 3 20 round mags. Rifle and Mags have been Duracoated in HK Black

2): S&W M&P 15T(5.56) 3 30 rounders and factory 10 rounder, 150 rounds American Eagle 62 grn 5.56 XM855BK, G.P.S. grip pod system, VLTOR butt stock(fixed), Sight Mark Ultra Shot Pro Spec NV QD red dot, and a Sight Mark 3X Tactical Magnifier Pro

Both rifles have about 50 rounds through them(CMP Match)

P.S. I am in Massachusetts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Tritely, with apologies. What you can get. If you can recover your costs with all the extras you have done well. FWIW the summer is generally not the time to peddle long guns.

My questions: If you know these guns so well and went to such extremes to build them why are they going on the block after 50 rounds? Why ask us? These are not a commodity in present form, e.g. a Model 10-5 in 90% condition without box/docs. That we can attempt to answer. Try a black gun forum.....

·
Registered
12,824 Posts
+1... This is basically a revolver forum with a sprinkling of other firearms.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
IMHO, the PTR 91 and all the stuff you have with it is probably worth somewhere around $800-900.

The M&P 15, probably $500-600 with everything you listed as well. You asked!

·
Premium Member
11,433 Posts
welcome01 to the forum.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Welcome mate

Thewelshm

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
20,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:)

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
I'd go with Gearchecker on the PTR 91 but your M&P 15T might in my opinion bring a bit more, like in the $650-700 range if you are patient. AR prices are pretty near rock bottom right now around here, with base models like the Sport2 and Ruger AR556 selling new for $539-579 and realy budget rigs like the Del-Ton for $439. The M&P15T , with its free float barrel and 5R rifling is definitely a higher end rifle than the Sport but prices are still at rock bottom now. Most places I think you would be doing well to get $1500 for the pair, but I have no idea what the Mass. prices are like.
For higher end, an area shop has The M&P 15 with carry handle, chrome lined bore, sku 81100 with an MSRP of $1249, for the price of $999.95, new. The Sport2 has an MSRP of over $700. If normal new prices in your are at MSRP or higher, our estimates are probably low. I have a feeling that most of us in the free states would have a hard time with price estimates in those other states

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Black guns in like-new condition figure 70% of the lowest price you can find on the Net. UTG hardware and Sightmark optics have little added value. Nikon/PEPR 60%. M855 should fetch 25 cents/rd. VLTOR... eh. 30rd and 20rd magazines I'm not sure of your laws in Mass but if intrastate sales of pre-ban magazines are legal they may be worth something. Otherwise, there's little value in used magazines.

·
Registered
12,824 Posts
Black guns in like-new condition figure 70% of the lowest price you can find on the Net. UTG hardware and Sightmark optics have little added value. Nikon/PEPR 60%. M855 should fetch 25 cents/rd. VLTOR... eh. 30rd and 20rd magazines I'm not sure of your laws in Mass but if intrastate sales of pre-ban magazines are legal they may be worth something. Otherwise, there's little value in used magazines.
Black guns (for the most part) are like cars, a steep depreciation curve. One, the market is saturated with them, every gun builder makes at least one model and sometimes many models and optics, run of the mill ones are a dime a dozen.

That don't always hold true. Last year I sold my 50 Barrett with the BORS sighting system for exactly what I paid for it and I consider it a black gun of sorts. It's a unique narrow scope rifle but the demand versus availability is high. Far as optics go, high end recognized optics like Nightforce and Swarovski scopes hold their value and command almost retail prices used. Same holds true with collectable firearms like Military Lugers and some of the S&W revolvers, but, for the most part, run of the mill firearms are just that and command run of the mill prices, which are never close to retail.

Last spring, I bought a pair of Swarovski EL Range 10 x 40 bino's from a good friend who wanted to get a pair of Lieca Geo Vids. I got them for 1/2 retail. The EL's retail for 3500, I got them for 1500 and considered myself very lucky I was there at the right time and place. They won't depreciate at all. That don't hold true with run of the mill stuff, especially items that are in a saturated market.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Well... the seller of those optics to you certainly didn't experience "hold their value and command almost retail prices used" :D, but I understand your point. Say the OP had purchased an Aimpoint red dot for $600 instead of his Sightmark for $100-$150. The Aimpoint will sell for $450 used and the Sightmark is worth about nothing used. Either way, the cost of having the optic on the rifle would be about the same but one is a dimestore recreational optic and the other is top shelf duty worthy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts