Smith And Wesson Forums banner

"What's It Worth"....??

13K views 44 replies 30 participants last post by  guntha45 
#1 ·
In my opinion, "What's it worth" is probably the 2nd most frequently asked question on the board (1st being "What Year?").

To me this is a difficult question to answer................

I've been collecting firearms for over 50 years and at one time (during the 80's) I was a stocking gun dealer (brick & mortar store front in what was then a small Arizona town). During my lifetime, I can't begin to tell ya (nor can I even remember) how many folks have asked that question. The reason that I find it difficult to answer is because of the multiple variables to gun value........and not the least of those variables is, "Opinion".

To me, the short answer is (and I'm sure you've all heard this)......"It's worth what someone will pay for it".

For a novice or someone relatively new to the firearms world, their usual sources for value reports/research is: books (such as "The Bluebook Of Gun Values" and others), the internet (Gun Sites & forums), various paper classified ad sources, opinions/recommendations from friends, gun shops, etc.

Aside from the variables such as region/state, condition, factory options, user options, completeness (original box, paperwork, etc), additional included items (scopes, grips/stocks, holsters, ammo, etc), the biggest variable is, "asking price". It's been my long standing opinion that the "asking price" is very frequently different than the selling price (asking $10 and selling it for $5). It would seem that far too often folks accept an "asking price" as the gun value and much of the time it is not.

All the time, I see firearms for sale with a listing price that is too high for the piece.........and for someone to accept that "asking price" as the "gun value" can be a big and commonly made mistake.

BTW, I should probably mention that much of what I'm talking about pertains to used firearms, because new guns usually have an MSRP (as a reference). It's also important to note that even MSRP on new firearms can frequently be just a guideline because even new guns can sometimes be over priced and often bought at a discount price (it too can vary).

The truest opinion of current market value can be found in the "Selling Price" (what somebody actually paid for the piece) and I can't emphasize that point enough. However, that information ("selling price") isn't nearly as easy to find as "Asking Price".

Another variable lies within "The Buyer". Gun "buyers" vary as much as people do. For example, frequently a neophyte gun buyer thinks to themselves, "I need an XYZ to add to my collection".........oft times I even hear someone say that word, "need". Well obviously, that attitude of "need" sets the stage for that individuals "Buying Price". Conversely, there are prospective gun buyers who already have extensive collections and those folks will usually have the attitude of, "I'd like to have that piece".........thus, setting the stage for their "Buying Price". Those two attitudes are the extreme ends of the buyer variables and chances are your attitude falls somewhere in the middle.

Regarding private "Sellers", I have discovered many times that "Asking Price" is frequently higher than "Value Price". This can be for a plethora of reasons such as, ignorance (they just don't know), taking the wrong advice, using someone else's "Asking Price" as a guide (especially when someone else is over priced), they think they're selling a "rare/collectible" piece and they're wrong or it's collector appeal is diminished by modifications..........and too frequently just plain 'ole greed (and they are looking for a sucker).

When a seller asks too much for a firearm, most of the time the piece just sits and doesn't sell. So, if you see a gun for sale that should be a popular seller and it doesn't sell, then there is usually something wrong (either the price is too high or there's something wrong with the piece).

Another factor to consider is personal "Grail Gun" status. Of course many buyers will over pay for a firearm because of emotions such as, "I've been looking for one of those for a long time and I'll pay that price for it.............and that's a personal thing based upon the individual buyer.

There's a saying that pertains to the currently inflating gun market (today's escalating prices)............"you didn't pay too much, you just bought it too soon"..............smile

Yes, I have a hard time answering the million dollar question, "How much is it worth" because more often than not, someone else will have a different opinion..........and most importantly, the value price isn't what I WOULD PAY because I already have a lifetime collection and I don't "need" more guns (I just want em)......chuckle

So my friends, I'm just opening the tip of this iceberg subject......... I've left some important things out and there are many opinions about what I've said. What's your opinions? Please add your $.02 worth.

This could be a useful thread for some of our new forum members and/or new firearms collectors/sellers.

Best Regards My Friends,

Geezer

See less See more
#38 ·
While what you say is true, knowledge should be shared or it will be lost.

A person inherits a revolver. They are knowledgeable about self loaders. Why should they not be able to post questions about it?

I have pre-inherited a couple of 1911s. I know very little about them. Two are Caspian mated frames and slides with the small bits added by a good gunsmith. The other is a Commercial Colt from the 1930s. To me, they are all the same but others have told me different.

If we do not help the new member, we are doing them a disservice.

Kevin

#41 ·
Regarding those folks who stop by just to ask questions about a S&W (or any firearm for that matter) and then we never hear from them again........Personally, I think it's a good thing to help people and answering questions is about the easiest form of help we can give to one another.

Many people accept this forum (our forum) as "expert discussion" and in some respect we should feel flattered that we're being asked.

Here's how I look at it: I've been playing guitar and collecting musical instruments almost as long as I've been collecting S&W's......and from time-to-time I'll acquire an instrument that I'm not very familiar with (or possibly know nothing about) and have questions about it. When this occurs, I'll have no hesitancy to go to a forum or website specific to the subject matter and ask the "experts" about it. I'm grateful for the answers and thank them for their time...........but chances are, I won't be back (or hang out there). I'm not there for camaraderie and I assume the members of the forum understand that fact..............hopefully the members of that forum aren't offended or think negatively about my using them as an information resource.

Just my $.02

#43 ·
Bob, I understand your feelings......I disagree with you, but I DO understand and will defend your Right to have whatever opinion you may have.

Methinks, by-and-large our forum members (particularly the active members) have sufficient savvy to avoid a "scam".....of course everyone makes mistakes and even an expert can mistakenly get scammed, but generally those in the know can recognize scams and also over pricing. Additionally, they know the important questions to ask and how to assess photos.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any firearms sight unseen from anyone that I don't know.......especially from the internet.

Hopefully our excellent site moderators would take care of blatantly obvious "Scam" ads.

#44 ·
After 20 years, I finally know enough NOT to buy on the internet. The current prices are way too high for me!, anyway!!! o_O At almost 75, it's time or me to quit buying more, and stick with the2-3 I have left. :rolleyes: My wife don't want them left after I die, for her to get rid of. I probably should sell them all!!! Bob

#45 ·
My previous wives tried telling me what I could and couldn't do, what to do and when (once they got the ring on their finger). It worked, for awhile. I have 2 PREVIOUS wives. The woman I am with now respects me and only makes suggestions but doesn't "act up" if I don't go along with her suggestions concerning "man things". The minor stuff that doesn't really matter to me is all whatever she wants, she can make the holiday plans or choose the restaurant (she actually can do that in less than 15 minutes!) We each stay in our own lane and I've never been happier with the woman I'm with than now, and I've never had more guns!