Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17,606 Posts
Geezer,
You made a great call five + (soon) six years ago. You never mentioned the current climate when gun prices may fire-up in price. ;)
This is so true. When riots & covid made gun sales skyrocket most every firearm available saw a 20% increase in value. The first gen Shields that had been a steal at $279 were back to $350 pretty quick. The beat up model 10 that everyone ignored at $299 is worth $399 pretty quick when it's the only gun in the used gun showcase.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
4,288 Posts
I sure blame the ongoing and then the recent (big) inflation as well.

It was also the supply shortage as in delivering the parts to S&W as well as getting out the guns.

This will not last forever. All markets correct as Ben Graham mentioned here:
Rectangle Font Material property Terrestrial plant Publication

We will have a correction soon.

·
Super Moderator
15,788 Posts
We now have a single place to consolidate all the "What is it? How Old is it? What's It worth?" question threads...

This lets makes it convenient to search for similar answers that have already been given, as well as to completely ignore these questions and answers if you so choose.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
I fully agree Marc,
You need to herd all these separate people into one place. It should be easy to do? ;)

I like to see where you stand when a controversial thing comes up? Are you against or for free speech?

<Just saying as my 4000th post. ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,788 Posts
Congratulations on your 4,000th post milestone!

Yes... and moderators will move new posts here as appropriate when they are placed elsewhere.

The forum has rules, and as a participant and moderator I agree to them. We are a strong community.

If we sit down to coffee, my speech is quite free.

·
Premium Member
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Howdy ya'll:: I can't believe that it's been six years since I started this string.........much of that time has flown by, yet once in awhile it seems that time crawls slowly.......such as when we were in the pseudo lock-down and there were no gun shows (time moved slowly for me in my world). Then when our society began to reopen and the gun show circuit started again, some price affecting factors occurred........."panic buying" and "fear purchasing".......our society is changing and people are scared.

To me, sometimes used firearms pricing can be understood and sense made of it (not necessarily agreement) and other times I just can't understand why a firearm that just a short while ago nobody wanted, in a caliber that isn't very well liked, today is actually selling for twice what it "was" worth (and the buyer is happy to obtain it).

Methinks that during these troubled times some folks that were previously not interested in owning firearms are today seeking some sense of security that possessing a self defense firearm can provide. In fact so many folks are buying firearms that gun store shelves have become depleted. Additionally, the shortage of ammunition and loading supplies has also affected gun prices because it has increased the panic mentality. These and various other reasons have contributed to the fluctuation of today's gun values and prices.

I've witnessed guns changing hands at one venue and within a very short time get sold at another venue for significantly more money.........often within weeks.

Hang on my friends............we're going for a ride.

·
Registered
469 Posts
In my opinion, "What's it worth" is probably the 2nd most frequently asked question on the board (1st being "What Year?").
To me this is a difficult question to answer................
Howdy ya'll:: I can't believe that it's been six years since I started this string........
To me, sometimes used firearms pricing can be understood and sense made of it (not necessarily agreement) and other times I just can't understand why a firearm that just a short while ago nobody wanted, in a caliber that isn't very well liked, today is actually selling for twice what it "was" worth (and the buyer is happy to obtain it).
Geezer, you knocked that first post across the cheap seats and over the fence into the parking lot. I didn't look at the post date until I read the last few posts in the thread. What you said then is just as true today, and I'm guilty as charged on most counts you commented on.

My issue with buying, and I am talking used guns here, I rarely buy a new one, is that I WILL NOT buy from a web seller, not even these forums. I insist on handling the gun, looking it over myself, and then deciding if I can or can't live without it. That eliminates every avenue except the LGS, local gun shows, or a word-of-mouth find. That significantly narrows the field of choices for me. That means, when I find a specific model/make I've been searching for, I have to weigh the possibility of ever finding another one as nice/nicer/less expensive than the one I found. It does make it a bit easier to haggle on the price, though. So, I might end up accepting a nice nickel gun, where I wanted a blued one, but didn't figure the odds were in my favor. I might have been searching for a 6" barrel, but took the 4" or even the snub nose. My "field" that I search for is fairly narrow (P&R K and N frame magnums 1957-1982), which makes it even more difficult to find one I'll accept, because those are very desirable models for most collectors or accumulators.

That brings me to the comment you made that I quoted in bold above. I think the reason is at least partly this: Gun collecting is much like classic car collecting. You know how everybody wants the '57 Bel Air hardtop, or the '54 Crown Vic with the "Continental Kit", or the '69 Dodge Charger Daytona, because those are the M27's and M58's and Registered Magnums of gun collecting. You don't see many cars like that out there that are restored and for sale and those that are.....well take out a second mortgage if you want one of them. So...collectors change their focus; they look for the ones that they can afford, like the 4-door Galaxies or '66 Impalas. Once those start getting popular, because they are easier to find at "reasonable" prices, their value starts climbing, too.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
I like the new thread right on top where it should be. There are a bunch of experts here.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts