Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this gun for months now, kinda wondering about the value. It's a Post war Transitional Model 38 Military and Police. Has the older long action lockwork serial # S99xxxx, and a 2" barrel. Grips numbered to the gun. My SCSW lists the value for very good and excellent conditions (it's kind of between the two, to nice to be very good, maybe not quite totally excellent). It also says add 25% for 2" barrel, add 25% for S prefix. Do I add 50% to their listing, or maybe a little more since it has both features. I don't have the box. I have shot it, and really like the gun a lot. Gave $380, wondering how I did. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think you did very well. I suspect there are people would pay $450 to $500 for what you describe.

It's tough to know how to value uncommon versions of common revolvers. There are people out there who just want snubby shooters and would tell you that you overpaid. Collectors who are dialed in to both quality and scarcity will always pay more.

Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The prices listed in the SCSW were already obsolete when it hit the bookstores. Not by much, but after a year or two out they're even more out of line with what folks are paying for quality S&Ws. I'd say DCW is closer to current prices. Around here, if you can find one, $450 would be an average price.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sounds like you did well. +1 for posting a picture if you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts