Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, please move this if you need to, I wasn't sure where to put it. i thought it would be interesting to post what your very first S&W handgun was. I'll kick it off, It was 1991 and I found a pretty pristine stainless model 65 in a pawn shop down on Harry Hines. I bought it for $200 and loved the recoil, especially with full power rounds.

Sadly, I traded that gun in for my first semi-automatic pistol, a Star Megastar in 45acp. I regret trading it, but I do have fond memories of it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, my 'first' was the Victory model in .38 S&W my dad brought back from WWII.

My memory is a little foggy on the first one I bought myself, but I believe it was a Lew Horton 2 1/2" M686. I had a bunch come and go in the late 80s, but I think the 686 was the first.

I still have (and will never get rid of) the Victory. ;)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
My first S&W was a model 77A .22 caliber pellet rifle. Bought it new for $44 which was a lot for a kid in 1971 (the first year produced) It did not have the dovetail notches in the top of the receiver for scope rings like the next year,so I had to improvise a scope mount. I had to epoxy glue the barrel to the pump cylinder or the scope would flop around. It actually worked very well but was unsightly.

About 30 years ago I came across one of the later models with the cut receiver at a gun show and bought it for the ungodly sum of $70.

S&W actually made these guns totally in house, unlike some companies that relabeled other companies guns and sold them.

High quality and never let me down. Thousands of rounds made for strong forearms! 10 pumps would put a pellet through one layer of a can. 20 pumps would go through both sides.

I still own my first S&W gun . Still shoots well too!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,491 Posts
First S&W revolver was a Hand Ejector 4th change 32 long that was Graddad's BOG on force(made 1917). First pistol was Wife's M&P 45. Both still work like new.

·
Registered
702 Posts
In 1974 the Hunt Brothers started buying all the silver. At it's peak ( I thought it was later than 74) I sold seven silver dollars at $37.50 each. I went to the hardware store and purchased a Model 19 Combat Magnum. It had a round butt grip and if I remember correctly, a slightly under two inch barrel.
It left with the first Wife in 1980.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
In 1974 the Hunt Brothers started buying all the silver. At it's peak ( I thought it was later than 74) I sold seven silver dollars at $37.50 each. I went to the hardware store and purchased a Model 19 Combat Magnum. It had a round butt grip and if I remember correctly, a slightly under two inch barrel.
It left with the first Wife in 1980.
So is this a good news, bad news story?

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
You never forget your first....

586_Plate.JPG

586.JPG

This one started out as a 586 no suffix, and got the pinto treatment with a stainless barrel and cylinder. I saw it sad and lonely in the case of a local gun shop, priced as if nobody wanted it. I decided it was time to take a Smith and Wesson to the dance, especially since it's action was so well done.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
My first S&W was a like new 3" model 36 bought in 1963. I carried it a lot and around 1969 I traded it in on a model 34 4" 22/32 kit gun. Later I replaced the 3" model 36 that I sold with this pre model 36 3" from 1955. Like those 3" revolvers.
standard.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Somewhere in the late 50's or early 60's, Pop (Grand Dad) gave me two .38 Top Breaks. One was nickel and one was blue.

Sadly, our home was burglarized and many/most of our family guns were stolen (including my top breaks).

During the 70's, I started acquiring/collecting firearms in earnest and in the 80's I opened a small town gun shop (2nd gun shop in town).....since then, the town has grown substantially and is now a small city with multiple gun shops.

I still collect S&W's (and a few other brands) but I'm drastically reducing the overall size of my stable..........Primarily, because mortality is creeping up on me and I have no heirs.........I certainly don't want The State or vultures to get my lifetime collection. My close friends will share what's left when I'm gone.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
A 6" 629 bought the week of the 21st birthday. Long gone. I do remember developing a nice cut on the web of my right hand from shooting 100 full power rounds in one sitting because the grips weren't well fitted. :shock:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts