Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a beautiful revolver I purchased a number of years ago when I was on my M1917 amassment. Please consider all of the images carefully before forming a conclusion. I have spent a little time with Jim and Richard's book trying to properly ID it, but I have decided to present it to folks much more astute than myself.
Based upon the amount of images allowed:
  • appears to have never been fired
  • no apparent "hidden" work marks
  • grips are after market with a 'N' stamped on both
  • bore is perfect
  • finish is perfect
  • numbering on the yoke has raised edges
  • .45 acp in moon clips drops into the cylinder like butter
Thanks for your help.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Revolver Air gun Gun barrel
Revolver
Revolver
Revolver
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Trigger Fashion accessory Metal Silver
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Door handle Fashion accessory

Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
From Wikipedia: The Smith & Wesson Model 22 is a 6-shot, double-action, large frame revolver chambered in .45 ACP using moon clips. It's a refined commercial version of the M1917 revolver first issued during World War I.

Looking in my 3rd edition of the SCSW DBA isn't one of the listed serial number prefixes, but DEW is listed as a 2003 prefix, so DBA should be about 2002 or so?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From Wikipedia: The Smith & Wesson Model 22 is a 6-shot, double-action, large frame revolver chambered in .45 ACP using moon clips. It's a refined commercial version of the M1917 revolver first issued during World War I.

Looking in my 3rd edition of the SCSW DBA isn't one of the listed serial number prefixes, but DEW is listed as a 2003 prefix, so DBA should be about 2002 or so?
Looking at my 3rd edition of the SCSW I can't get the revolver to line-up completely with anything. When I purchased it I assumed it was the updated M1917: however, being stamped 22-4 and the barrel markings being wrong has lead me down a rabbit hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a model 1917 22-4. In the 22-4 series there were 4 inch and 5 1/2 barrels They could be had in blue and nickel finish. You are measuring the barrel length wrong, you need to start at the face of the cylinder, this should make barrel length 5 1/2 inches.
This is a nickel 4 inch 22-4
Thank you for the barrel length correction; I am embarrassed.
I agree it should be a Model 1917. However, the markings on the barrel, the serial number, and the 2 different serial number prefix's don't correspond to anything.

·
Premium Member
20,716 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'm puzzled. What's wrong with that modern "Classic Series" S&W hand ejector? The SN prefix is DBA in the yoke area and on the butt. This Model 22-4 was reintroduced in 2007. It is not a Model 1917 although it replicates the older .45 ACP handgun. It has a modern internal lock, cylinder stop stud, pinned front sight and round top diamond stocks. What's not to like?

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
30,012 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Beautiful revolver. Some fine examples shown...much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts