Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, it's the double action trigger pull. A lot (if not most) of my handgun shooting, both rimfire and centerfire, has been double action. There is such a difference between Colt and S&W that I could never get used to the Colt. The Colt just gets heavier and heavier until if finally breaks. Smiths get 'heavy' then remain at basically a constant weight of pull for the final bit of trigger travel and that last bit can be squeezed off very easily without disturbing aim.

Not living close to any shooting range, at least 99% of my shooting has been "in the country" where shooting at moving targets was not only safe, it was a hell of a lot of fun. Rocks skittering across the ice of a frozen pond will teach you a lot about double action shooting and leading moving targets. Chased by dogs, rabbits are unpredictable moving targets, too. Those days are long gone but the lessons we learned are still with us. It's a shame those opportunities weren't available for everybody.

I only have experience with one Ruger DA, the Redhawk. It was a lot closer to the Smith DA than the Colt but had a habit of increasing DA pull as it got dirtier, which didn't take long. Maybe 24 to 30 shots. The cylinder's rotation on the crane would be restricted by the accumulation of crud, as we always shot cast bullets.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The ventilated rib on the Colt Python made that my must have revolver. The names of various S&W models like Combat Magnum along with the aesthetics had me lusting for an S&W. In the end my first new revolver was a Dan Wesson. A few years later a nice 629 became available and I was hooked. I never have owned a Colt D/A revolver and the DW resides with the ex so it all S&W now.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
my early experience with 45 acp in the 1917 revolver. One of the 1st handguns i bought - the gun and the historical perspective kind of aligned.. Plus the dang thing put those big slugs on a rope to the bull at 20 yards.. :ROFLMAO: I knew the gun shot well, but wasnt aware of exactly why i felt so comfortable shooting it..

little bit later based on some posts i had read, i acquired an early 38 masterpiece and built an appreciation of the lockset design and the DA capabiliies of the guns..

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My first gun was a S&W Model 10, 4 Inch HB. The double action on it was great as I recall. I bought the gun soon after my bride and I married in 1972. I have been in love with her and S&W ever since.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
The are a more natural fit for my hand.

·
Super Moderator
19,371 Posts
My first S&W revolver was a gift from a friend about 10 or 11 years ago. It is a K-38 Target Masterpiece, I still have it, and will pass it on to my daughter when I'm gone.. I had an incident with it that brought me to this forum.
I've owned one other revolver before that and it was a Colt Python. That Python was beautiful, but it spent way too much time in the shop for me.

The reason I've stuck with S&W for the most part is this forum, and the members that share their knowledge and love of these guns with anybody that want's to know more about what they have.
The triggers on all but a few of my Smiths amazing, and are 2nd to none. The few Smiths that have triggers that aren't so great, are all antiques, so the perfect triggers is so much less important than the history behind them.
Well that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
151 Posts
Smith and Wesson first, Ruger second, and Colt a distant third. I have owned several Pythons over the years and all were out of time or went out of time in short order. Even had a Colt Custom Shop 4" Ultimate Stainless that went back to the factory because timing was off. After receiving it back and shooting approximately 100-150 factory 357 ammo, went out of time again. The stacking double action pull was also unacceptable. You read in other blogs about owners of Pythons who shot "thousands" of rounds of 357 with no problems whatsoever but I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Appearance
Quality
Smooth action
Strength
Many calibers(invented by Smith)
Longivity
Never sold one I've bought......................ALL revolver facts

BTW Their only decent and estatically good looking .22 auto with great performance is their model 41. All their other attempts at .22 autos are,are have been bulky and butt ugly. Nothing slim and neat like a Woodsman/Ruger MK 11 or a Buckmark.. Their latest attempt looks like the olf Colt Cadet. Made by Elmer Fudd.

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
My very first center fire revolver was a Dan Wesson 15 Pistol Pak. Super revolver.

But... for variety and balance, I've not shot revolvers that come close to the S&W series in K and L frames. the N frame fits my hand best, but they are certainly a handful.

·
Registered
12,690 Posts
The quality associated with the S&W name was a big draw. I also think that S&W makes some of the best looking revolvers, but bottom line is the trigger stroke. Both D/A and S/A are just right. I have an SP101 that has had some trigger work done and its pretty sweet, but the stroke is still longer than a S&W

·
Registered
17,519 Posts
I picked S&W as I do have a lot of them and their quality is great especially in the older ones. Their trigger actions do seem smoother and fit is great. I have a few Colts (no Pythons) and I carry a Detective Special and a Colt Cobra. I have one Officer's Model Target and it is real close to my 14 and the Colt's sights are easier for my old eyes to. The Colts trigger actions are smooth but the S&Ws have the edge IMO. All my Ruger revolvers are SA. I do have a Dan Wesson 15-2 and it is a dream. It is the one DA revolver I would use for hunting or long distance targets.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Started with a 19-3... four inch, nickel in 1980. Owned a pile of them since then. Also Ruger and Colt. Pythons were nice. Owned three. One really was a doozie in SA. None of them were so good in DA. Liked the N-frames. When S&W brought out the L-frame, I was smitten. Now, own several N-frames, one L-frame and several K-frames. The Rugers and Colts are gone. Just simply decided that I preferred the S&W design. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My first Smith was a m386, got it about 10 years ago. It's been a very good gun, given my abuse over the years.
I had 2 Ruger SRH in 44 mag, before that. Used for deer hunting, never could shoot them that well, not sure why.
Several years ago I thought I'll get a m29 and try it for hunting. Then joined this forum and started to learn about the history of them.
Well, that's all it took, I'm a junkie now. Lol.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
213 Posts
dad joined the police force out of the navy in 1952. he carried a S&W 38 police special. i grew up shooting that 38. when i joined the force in 74, i bought a model 14 for $50. after that, it was just natural to buy Smith and Wesson guns.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
My first S&W was a 5" 27-2 and it spoiled me. Followed Skeeter Skelton's advice to buy that one. Always liked Colt 1911's but not their revolvers, except the Python which was and is, way too expensive. I only have one Colt revolver and it is an older Officer's Model Match in .38 that was built and or worked on by someone who knew what he was doing. Super smooth action and very accurate, but I would sell it before letting my 14 or 15 get away.

·
Registered
13,457 Posts
2 reasons.

First, I inherited my dad's 44 RM long barrel that has the sweetest trigger pull SA and DA of any revolver I've ever used and secondly my 460 XVR because Smith is the only manufacturer that makes it. Incidentally my 460's trigger is as good as my dad's 44 is, maybe a tad better in SA.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts