Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you collect blue, nickel, stainless, big bore, small bore, short barrel, long barrel, or just any Smith?

I pretty much stick to PRE LOCK .22, .38/.357 caliber in 4 inch or less, any finish, J and K frames. Most are in as new condition with box and papers, but that's not a necessity. Didn't start with that goal it just kind of happened, well also the price range on them is still reasonable enough.

Reactions: Bob K

·
Registered
19,660 Posts
I just like to buy NIB S&W's at a good, reasonable price, to use as occasional shooters. They used to be bargains, selling for
50-75% of the new guns. I always thought of it as buying "better than new"......so I wasn't afraid to shoot them. If you buy a new gun....you shoot it!
I've got a couple of short barrel K frames (2" M-10-7 & M-66-1 2 1/2")......they seem to be a perfect fit for me. I also got a old snubby M-36....but that's my carry gun, and an old M-67 4". I'm not a collecter.....just have assembled a few guns that I like. I'd still like to get a Colt 1911, though. ;) Bob

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Revolvers 1946 to about 1985. Mostly earlier K-frames(Masterpieces). Kinda' wonder in and out of J-Frames. Have a full set of M-27s and then some. Only been at this collecting thing for about 18 months. Kinda' like Colt 1911s, always have had a few around. Sooner or later I'll settle in. Leo

·
Super Moderator
19,332 Posts
It's really not much of a collection, it's more of an organized gathering.
So far I have 8 S&W revolvers, and I pretty much buy whatever I can that has interest to me at the time. I don't have any 2 of the same model. I saw a DA45 today for around $400 and I'm thinking about it. I'm back on the search for another K-22 with a 6" barrel. I want either a pre model 17 or a K-22 masterpiece Model 17 in clean condition. I'm not in a huurry to get it, but when the right one crosses my path I'll buy it.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Gearchecker wrote:
Ditto that. I originally started out with the intent to buy only two: a 22 and a .357 mag with 6" barrels. Now have 12 in all shapes and sizes. You guys warned me early on about how addicting S&W's can be and I paid no heed! Now I'm doomed to forever scan the auction ads, search countless tables at innumerable gun shows and to constantly seek out gun shops where ever I go. l get what I deserve. Hopefully, a nice model 57 next! :D
John

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I am a collector of opportunities. If opportunity presents me with the collision of having spare change and finding a gun I like at the same time, then whatever is in the case will suffice!

A 'collection' infers some type of thought process and goal. I prefer to think of it more as an accumulation! I was once asked if I collect coffee cups because I had so many. My reply was, 'No .. I tend to just accumulate them.'

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
I've had "a thing" for revolvers since I was a kid (just like many of us) and a particular liking for S&W's.

chuckle.......Short barreled wheel guns always get my attention.

As Wendy so well put it and she's probably speaking for a bunch of us ......it's what "strikes my fancy" and I guess it's considered "collecting".

Regards Everyone,

Geezer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Collector ? Hoarder :D
I have been fasinated by S&W's quality revolvers for years. I have never found a really "bad" one. All seem to hold a mystic that far surpasses any semi auto and I have many of both !
A recent Nevada CCW ruling allowing a CCW holder that qualifies with A revolver
to be able to carry ANY revolver has furthered my already immense propensity for S&W revolvers.
They exemplify American quality and they always work . They are simple,easy to manipulate,eye pleasing pieces of exotic craftsmanship !
Collector---maybe..........Hoarder better describes my addiction !

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I am a disciplined collector and a student of Smith & Wesson and it's history.

My focus is Commercial post 1900 Hand Ejectors primarily before 1968, with little after 1985 but nothing after 2000.

"Shooting" and "Collecting" are two different things... Hoarders, Heathens and Philistines rarely know the difference....

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
3" J-frames are my favorites, I have .22's, .38's & .357's. Snubbies are next in line although I own several other models. I am a "Shooter" not a "Collector", 'collecting' is for those much more knowledgeable than I am. There are 2 or 3 very knowledgeable Collectors here who are willing to share their knowldge and as a history buff it's appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts

My focus is Commercial post 1900 Hand Ejectors primarily before 1968, with little after 1985 but nothing after 2000.

"Shooting" and "Collecting" are two different things... Hoarders, Heathens and Philistines rarely know the difference....
Some folks think that by acting real upity they appear smarter than us common folk. OK Iam so impressed that I'd keep reading
about how smart they are 'cept I gotta go potty---sorry "smart folk" you loose ! But,
please keep up the persuasive posts, when Iam not busy I enjoy a good laugh !
. Bet you do enjoy "handejectors"---everybody gets lonesome, even smart folks.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some folks think that by acting real upity they appear smarter than us common folk. OK Iam so impressed that I'd keep reading
about how smart they are 'cept I gotta go potty---sorry "smart folk" you loose !

My first S&W was a Model 60 my late Father sent to me in Vietnam, I was a Marine Grunt in 1969. I have been a S&W fan/collector/hoarder/nut since then. I guess I know a little about them, HOWEVER I do learn something new every week on here. If people don't write about them we can't pick up the odd bits here, and there, that fill the gaps in our CONTINUING education.

I really haven't run across anyone on here as "upity." I think it is more a matter that different people present info in different ways.

Reactions: pappy

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Collectors acquire things to look at, shooters acquire things that go BANG!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
about how smart they are 'cept I gotta go potty---sorry "smart folk" you loose ! But,
please keep up the persuasive posts, when Iam not busy I enjoy a good laugh !
. Bet you do enjoy "handejectors"---everybody gets lonesome, even smart folks.
Nah doorknob, no one here qualifies as "uppity" especially not Drew (Sebago Son)! He is one of thee most knowledgible, if not thee most knowledgible members who posts here. This is not a typical forum where flamers are...(24 hour campfire comes to mind). Relax and get to know everyone by their posts, and you will discover that this is truly a unique place. Oh, and what part of NV are you from?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
A collector...

The kind who wishes he had more money!:eek:

I have purchased 2 Smiths and 2 Rugers since last December. God help me, I am becoming an addict.

I have tried to explain to my son this: The planning, dreaming imagining of acquiring the luxuries in life that you do not have to have IS a good thing. Even things you do not have to have, but that make life more fun. Waiting sometimes is good, and life is not Burger King.

So I can justify having less than what I have bought in the past few months. I will get more of course, when a person sees a (currently legal) drug that produces a natural high, you have no choice but to satisfy your addiction. I will not be joining guns anon soon.

Truly, I enjoy reading and viewing your guns and have learned a lot. And, I enjoy the honest pleasure of seeing others who enjoy their guns, true collectors or not.

I went to Cabelas tonight. Just to buy some H110 powder. Of course, I had to go to the gun library. A 28-2 in 6 inch barrel. My 4 inch is lonely. No trigger pulled yet. God. As another put it. Not a collector, just an accumulator.

Oh, model 27 in a presentation case. I need it too. Damned Cabelas Visa card! It just sits there: "Hey! I am not at the limit yet. She will not care anyway. Go on..."

Cabelas sign as you enter: "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" :eek:

Dart

·
Registered
29 Posts
My first S&W was a Model 60 my late Father sent to me in Vietnam, I was a Marine Grunt in 1969. I have been a S&W fan/collector/hoarder/nut since then. I guess I know a little about them, HOWEVER I do learn something new every week on here. If people don't write about them we can't pick up the odd bits here, and there, that fill the gaps in our CONTINUING education.

I really haven't run across anyone on here as "upity." I think it is more a matter that different people present info in different ways.
Semper Fi ! Vietnam 1966-1968 & 1969-1970

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Drew, I will answer to being a “Hoarding- like Heathen, with Philistine-like actions in my past”…Hey, I was in the Navy, it happens! :D I don’t have a collection in the sense of what you possess, I never understood the market until too late in my life where the capital was necessary to make it possible. Thanks to you and others that I’ve learned from as to value, I’ve ‘accumulated’ enough to know that I could make a profit on what I have on-hand and will buy so going forward, thank you for the education. Doorknob is not just a new member, but a retired Marine Corps veteran who certainly has my welcome and appreciation for his service, I’m guessing none of us would want to see him leave. I remember on another very blue place far, far away, where I asked a (now understood to be) stupid question and our old friend DWFAN hit me with a response I was left seeing blood over. He was exactly right, yet it took me time to control my temper and understand that I was entering into an area that I knew little about, except that my cop father carried a Smith & Wesson during his career. I remember that moment and since those years ago, DWFAN proved to be a person of high character, I’m still in his debt. Doorknob, stick around, there is a wealth of knowledge here and we all want/need to learn, sometimes jumping onto the ‘rolling log’ can be difficult, but you’ll find a spot up on top of the spinning log! :)

Reactions: pappy
1 - 20 of 59 Posts