Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend for using on a blued finish? I am cleaning up my Henry and have polished up the brass and waxed the wood but .. Should I just oil the barrel and wipe it off .. or? looks kinda dull
Alex

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I oil them, but a lot of guys swear by renaissance wax. I've used it and it does make things shiny. I just use mine to much to go through the extra steps.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ren wax! I didnt know if it would be cool to use on the barrel because of heat. Awesom .. its lookin purdy

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ballistol...that is All....! fwiw:cool:
You know I have read so many positive comments on various boards about Ballistol and have never tried it. Going to have to look it up. Says at their site you can use it on wood and all!!

Well I spent nearly 4 hours cleaning buffing waxing and more buffing, A dozen Qtips came into play several patches. I didnt take it apart so I guess i cant call it detailing but ... woo weeeee it looks AWESOME from the tip of my octagon barrel to my brass butt plate .. so ..

now how do I shot it!? :)

Damnit .. its a work of art and all I am going to do is bring it to the range in a week and dirty it all up again!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
You know I have read so many positive comments on various boards about Ballistol and have never tried it. Going to have to look it up. Says at their site you can use it on wood and all!!

Well I spent nearly 4 hours cleaning buffing waxing and more buffing, A dozen Qtips came into play several patches. I didnt take it apart so I guess i cant call it detailing but ... woo weeeee it looks AWESOME from the tip of my octagon barrel to my brass butt plate .. so ..

Damnit .. its a work of art and all I am going to do is bring it to the range in a week and dirty it all up again!
Pics or it never happened :)

thewelshm

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts

I have the same problem with my Henry Golden Boy... too easy on the eyes to feel like shooting it ;)

Ballistol is some really interesting stuff.. it has it's origins back to 1904 when the German Army was looking for a "one size fits all" solution for gun cleaning/lubricating, wood and leather preservation, and of all things... wound care. It's basically a refined medicinal grade mineral oil, and it's unique odor is from the medicinal oil called Anethole, which is from the seeds of the Anise plant.

It's great for cleaning and preventing the green fuzz (verdigris) that forms under/around metal snaps and rivets on leather holsters/belts, due to the acids in the leather from the tanning process.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Damn, and here I tho’t I was the only one with the “too-clean-and-pretty-to-shoot” syndrome. On the one hand, I want to shoot my two polished-to-a-high-chrome-luster revolvers (a 460V, and a 4” 686), while on the other hand, I just can’t get my head past the “getting-it-dirty” phase. And, unfortunately, there’s no pharmaceutical “assist” to help. Such a quandary, so many details to consider . . . oh, I need to rest, I’m getting a terrible headache . . .

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I use Lucas Oil Products on the parts you don't see and use mothers Mag Polish on the parts you see.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Ballistol is definitely a unique product. It's also the only gun cleaning product that it actually good for your skin. It was "green" back when green was just a color.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Eesox. Hard to find but a great product and it smells better than ballistol. Put a light coat on the steel. Let it sit a few minutes and wipe it off. Resists fingerprints and doesn’t smear.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I just can’t get my head past the “getting-it-dirty” phase. And, unfortunately, there’s no pharmaceutical “assist” to help. .
Sure there is.
I prescribe buying TWO of each gun you need/want. One for clean , one for fun.
O , this prescription does not expire.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
3,531 Posts

Ballistol is Mineral oil with a drop of magic ingredients. It smells like old locker room socks

It is a hair tonic and floor cleaner all in one. It is an amazing find from Germany Top Secret formula developed by Hitler.
The only thing missing is "AS SEEN ON TV, ORDER NOW AND GET TWO!!"
:D

https://ballistol.com/about-us/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts