Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older pre-war Smith & Wesson that has the hard rubber grips. The left grip panel has a crack starting at the butt end. Right now the crack is very small although you can feel it with your fingernail. I am worried that it will get worse. What is the best thing to do? Just leave it alone or maybe put some kind of glue in the crack to keep it from getting worse? I like to shoot the gun with the original grips on it but I fear that if I continue to that the crack will get much worse or even break away completely.
hipnp

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
wilson,
The old hard rubber grips are pretty brittle after all these years of use and drying out.
The 'plasticizers' (chemicals that kept them dark and shiny and somewhat shock-resistant) evaporate over the decades.
The is only one way to fill or repair the grips,and it requires a bit of skill.
Mixing a two-part (clear) epoxy with powdered lead from a #2 pencil will produce a black (you have to do the color match :)>) ) filling/bonding agent.
The goop must be quickly worked deep into the crack, using some care not to slop it all over the rest of the grip.
After drying overnight, the patched area can be sanded, grooved, steel-wooled and polished just like plastic or wood.
With some practice, you can produce invisible repairs.
Of course you can always find a set on eBay, or put on a substitute pair for shooting.
In the photo below, see if you can find the repair...
Don

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
It's not where you think!
:shock: :lol:
Here's a side-view.
Anybody?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another good way to repair or patch plastic grips, plastic fore ends, grip caps and buttplates is to use ACCUGLAS- GEL you mix to parts equally and you get a brown and a black dye tube.
I have used this to patch in broken pieces of butt plates. Only one thing. you must put release agent or glad wrap where you don't want this to be stuck to. IT WILL BE PERMENTLY STUCK TO WHATEVER YOU PUT IT ON IF YOU DON'T TAKE PRECAUTIONS.
John

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Excellent points, John.
That 'protection' of non-affected areas is real important! :shock:
Don

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Sorry, Jim...no cigar.
Light reflecting from the sun, and highlights on that polished frame make that area look repaired, but it's original, and as-new.
Maybe I'd better offer some kind of 'karma' for the correct answer.
Somebody will pick up on it.
Thanks for the opinion.
Don
;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS DHENRY! There is a gun show coming up soon so I will get a beat up old set of grips to practice your tip on. The ones that I have are original to the gun, I don't want to try working on them until I have experimented a bit...

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
Maybe I'd better offer some kind of 'karma' for the correct answer.
Don, you fixed the right grip panel.. what do I win?? nbhaof lsk705

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe that I see it. Starting from about 8:00, lower left of the grip screw the fixed spot goes straight down to the bottom.

John

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
VBG, Looks like Carl won. My last guess. I'll take one more guess. I even added some special effects. Nice repair job.
Jim

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
John,
Nope.
Carl, 50,000 comedians out of work and you're funny! :lol:
OK...
Here's the 'contest karma'...
One deck of vintage Smith & Wesson playing cards, in their original gold-colored box, excellent condition.
The cards have the old-style 'S&W' trademark/logo on the backs.
Let's make the first correct identification of the repair site by a member the winner.
Contest ends Monday, March 9th, at 9PM Eastern (Daylight Savings!) time.
Good luck to all!
;)
Don

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
Don,
Are you ever going to tell us where the repair really is?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
OK, I give up...
The repair is the entire lower-front of the grip, at the front corner of the gripframe.
The grips were excellent when I got 'em on eBay, except...
There was a triangular chunk missing.
The area measured about 1/4" by 1/4".
I consulted with several 'grip mavens', and then got a tip from one of our members (which I used).
Mixed a two-part (clear) epoxy with graphite from a #2 lead pencil.
Had to work fast, as the set-up time isn't long, and the color-match has to be spot-on.
I built a 'dam' out of masking tape, lined it with wax paper, and scooped the mixture into the missing area.
The checkering was done with a dental tool before the mixture set up completely.
After 24 hours (to cure), I removed the 'dam', feathered in the edges with extra-fine body-sanding paper, then went to 000-grade steel wool, then 'Pre-Lim' polish.
I'm satisfied with the result, as it blends in well, and is tough as nails.
The backside of the repaired grip is also well-finished, but chose not
to make it 'invisible'.
Keeps me honest! ;)
Don

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
Excellent work, Don!

By the way, that's almost exactly where I was about to say the repair work was done.. weiweinp njgapjgj

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was going to say that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good job.thanks for the info. now i know something new and handy.

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts