Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching a shooting program on TV the other day (don't remember which one), I watched a demonstration firing of an M16 by a military marskman. It struck me as odd that he didn't shoulder the weapon.....the butt was resting on top of his shoulder...and it appeared that his aiming eye was right on top of the rear sight (or scope?). It looked very unorthodox.

Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The only thing I can think of is maybe it wasn't his rifle. Some of those SWAT guys are used to the short stock when they are wearing armor and keep their weapon shouldered with their eye in the sights. They have helmets and face shields as well to protect them. Did he do it a lot or just once? I've seen Clint Smith fire a rifle and it never leaves his shoulder even when he reloads his trigger hand doesn't leave the weapon.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks for mentioning that Jack -
beginning to think I was the only one who thought nobody properly shouldered long guns any more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jack D said:
Watching a shooting program on TV the other day (don't remember which one), I watched a demonstration firing of an M16 by a military marskman. It struck me as odd that he didn't shoulder the weapon.....the butt was resting on top of his shoulder...and it appeared that his aiming eye was right on top of the rear sight (or scope?). It looked very unorthodox.

Does anyone know why?
The proper hold for an M-16 is with your nose touching the charging handle. It was probably an A-2 stock and not an M-4.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Jack D said:

Does anyone know why?
Did it look like this?

If so, you saw a Highpower Rifle competitor in the standing position.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The reason they raise the rifle like that is to get a good cheek-weld on the butt. With the M16's rear as high as it is, with a normal hold your head is raised up above the stockline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts