Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big fan of just about any S&W 44 Magnum, but the one that really got me started was the 629-3 Magna Classic Stainless. I thought that was the single most beautiful revolver I had ever seen, and I still do. Back then, however, I had kids in school and there wasn't any extra cash for a really pretty gun that I couldn't shoot. It took me years to get one, but I finally did. (When I die, it's going to be interred with me. Lol.) Between then and now, there was the 1994 S&W product catalog. There on page 11 was every gun I ever wanted, or so I thought at the time. Not only that, they show a bunch of 629-4s with 629-3 rubber grips that have silver medallions. I have never seen a 629-4 with those grips before, and both of the ones I own have the Hogue grips with the molded medallions. None-the-less, that's how this insanity started with me. But wait! There's more! (Now how much would you pay?) Here's a few pics too. No, the Nickel SAT didn't come with it, but they look good together. Lol.
Trigger Air gun Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Font
Publication World Font Art Book cover
Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Auto part

·
Registered
702 Posts
my introduction was browsing the counter at a now defunct dealer in New Jersey.
i saw this in the case and bought it on the spot.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

acusport arms 629-2 Classic Magnum non fluted recessed cylinder with 7 1/2 inch barrel and Hogue monogrip.
#417 of 748 made. there was 750 made, but as i was told when purchasing it 2 did not pass quality control and the numbers were retired.
these days they are selling between $900 and $1100. if i remember correctly, i paid around $350 for it back in 1989

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
I had always wanted a "Dirty Harry" clone, but sadly, I didn't know enough about Smith & Wessons at the time to realize that what I bought, this Model 29-3 wasn't exactly the same.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Still, I'm glad I bought it. This 629 I bought in a group of 4 guns from a guy at work that was selling his widowed mother-in-laws' revolvers. Of all of the four, I no longer own any of them, either having sold or given them away to family and friends. I'm a generous man. ;)

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my introduction was browsing the counter at a now defunct dealer in New Jersey.
i saw this in the case and bought it on the spot.
View attachment 569316
acusport arms 629-2 Classic Magnum non fluted recessed cylinder with 7 1/2 inch barrel and Hogue monogrip.
#417 of 748 made. there was 750 made, but as i was told when purchasing it 2 did not pass quality control and the numbers were retired.
these days they are selling between $900 and $1100. if i remember correctly, i paid around $350 for it back in 1989
Way cool! That's the 4th of those I've seen. Of course, I bought the 3rd one I saw. (SWN0725) The SCSW says those came with an extra set of wood grips. Did your have those? Mine did not. You'll be happy to know that I have seen 2 sell in the past 1 1/2 years; one for $2200 and one for $3075! Nice return on your investment. Mine is near the bottom in the gun pic. Here are most of my other 44s and a few 45's.
Trigger Air gun Revolver Gun barrel Handgun holster

·
Registered
Deplorable Bitter Clinger
26 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Way cool! That's the 4th of those I've seen. Of course, I bought the 3rd one I saw. (SWN0725) The SCSW says those came with an extra set of wood grips. Did your have those? Mine did not. You'll be happy to know that I have seen 2 sell in the past 1 1/2 years; one for $2200 and one for $3075! Nice return on your investment. Mine is near the bottom in the gun pic. Here are most of my other 44s and a few 45's.
on the wood grips, not that i remember, i will have to look in the box and see if they are in it, but i doubt it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Y’all have some super fine 44s. I generally lean toward blue guns, but the one 629-1 I own is an old Lew Horton 3” barrel. She’s a sweet blaster!
View attachment 569370
Thanks. That's a pretty nice one you have there as well! Ahrens stocks, I guess. I shoot about 3 of them, and the rest are just for looking at. Those 3 are a 6" 29-2, a 6" 629-3 Classic Hunter reintroduction, and a 629-5 Powerport with the red dot.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I'm a big fan of just about any S&W 44 Magnum, but the one that really got me started was the 629-3 Magna Classic Stainless. I thought that was the single most beautiful revolver I had ever seen, and I still do. Back then, however, I had kids in school and there wasn't any extra cash for a really pretty gun that I couldn't shoot. It took me years to get one, but I finally did. (When I die, it's going to be interred with me. Lol.) Between then and now, there was the 1994 S&W product catalog. There on page 11 was every gun I ever wanted, or so I thought at the time. Not only that, they show a bunch of 629-4s with 629-3 rubber grips that have silver medallions. I have never seen a 629-4 with those grips before, and both of the ones I own have the Hogue grips with the molded medallions. None-the-less, that's how this insanity started with me. But wait! There's more! (Now how much would you pay?) Here's a few pics too. No, the Nickel SAT didn't come with it, but they look good together. Lol.
View attachment 569205 View attachment 569206 View attachment 569207 View attachment 569208
I too like the 44 Mag. You can load it so many ways to fit the shooting situation. PLUS
it's a 44 Special load also. I like to see just how far I can hit a bowling pin. 150 yards is
"do-able"...! How far for Y'all....? Good Shoot'n!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I do long for a 629 in 8-3/8” but it’ll have to wait. There are lower hanging fruit to pluck. I have 4x .44 magnum revolvers at present time.
Trigger Air gun Wood Line Gun barrel

10.5” Ruger Blackhawk Buntline (custom Bisley)
8” Cimarron Bad Boy
8-3/8” Taurus Model 44 (refinished) (call this my poor man’s 629 😂)
7.5” Ruger Redhawk

Got them paired up with a 20” Henry Big Boy Brass in .44 and a 16” stainless Rossi R92 carbine in .44 (on its way).

Lots of variety but still no Smith…

1 - 20 of 26 Posts