Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Personal Defense, Remington Ultimate Home Defense, and Winchester Personal Protection ammo in all the various calibers I have. They all perform well but I was wondering if there is a better brand that I have been overlooking. It never hurts to have more information and I know there is a wealth of knowledge to draw on with this forum.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
I carry Winchester PDX Defender, it performs well and I have been able to get it locally. Currently I have Federal HST 130gr Plus P in my J frame. I picked up a few boxes of it when Walmart was closing out handgun ammo for about $10 a box

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I carry and shoot revolvers. The first 5/6 are going to be wadcutters at +/- 900 fps in either 36 or 45 caliber depending upon what revolver is at hand. Next cylinder full will be more of the same.

Kevin

·
Registered
17,960 Posts
I like the Barnes Vor-tx ammo for hunting. I also use the Hornady and Winchester, but the Barnes is best for me. Reloading, I do favor the wadcutters and as Strawhat said they are in my EDC Cobra.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
As soon as I can get around to it, I will buy a couple of boxes of 9mm Underwood ammo. Will also buy some boxes of 9mm Buffalo Bore as well as several boxes of Liberty Defense 9mm. Am at this time looking very hard at the Liberty Defense 9mm ammo. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
As soon as I can get around to it, I will buy a couple of boxes of 9mm Underwood ammo. Will also buy some boxes of 9mm Buffalo Bore as well as several boxes of Liberty Defense 9mm. Am at this time looking very hard at the Liberty Defense 9mm ammo. Sincerely. bruce.
Hey Bruce,

Give these a good look (what I use). Handgun

The only Factory Ammo that will RELIABLY take Bowling Pins off the table. (in .45acp)

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Agree with Layne- Gold Dot 135 gr in the summer ( short barrel load) or 158 JHP in the winter. Heavy jackets,etc . Hank

·
Registered
13,429 Posts
Whatever 124 JHP I have at the moment; currently bought 1000 Speer Gold Dots

·
Premium Member
11,533 Posts
On the range I've had good results with Hornady Custom. Hope to never test it for real.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I rarely carry my 9mm but when I do
124 fr HST

My 40S&W
180 gr hst

My wifes 38 load
38+p HST

My 38 load for the 642

My 38+p load for 357 nightstand duty ( easy shooting and low flash)

Out and about 357
158 gr hydra shok

10mm

·
Registered
241 Posts
Honestly, any of the wonder-hollowpoints are more than sufficient to protect you and yours. Back until the '90's, hollowpoints were an iffy proposition to expand - it depended on your barrel length, and to a larger degree, the way the bullet was designed which was pretty basic back then. in the late 90's, bullet manufacturers started hiring scientists to develop bullets that expand every single time, even from a short barrel. You're pretty well defended using almost any of them.

Personally I use my Hornady XTP hollowpoint bullets loaded to +P pressure.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,698 Posts
My government model .45 ACP 1911s get Winchester PDX1 230 grain. My 10mm handguns get Winchester Silvertip 175 grain or Underwood 180 grain XTP. My .40 S&W handguns get Underwood 155 grain XTP. My pocket carried Sig P938 9mm gets CorBon 115 grain +P.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been using Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Personal Defense, Remington Ultimate Home Defense, and Winchester Personal Protection ammo in all the various calibers I have. They all perform well but I was wondering if there is a better brand that I have been overlooking. It never hurts to have more information and I know there is a wealth of knowledge to draw on with this forum.
EDC is Hevi-Shot 9mm, 100gr TC frangible in my Kimber Pro Carry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you reload your ammo there are a lot of choices out there. I have pretty much settled on 124 grain Remington Gold Saber in my 9mm, 38 special and my 357 magnums.I use Tight Group in my 9mm, Trail Boss in my 38s and H110 in my 357. Get great results from them all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts