Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a choice between 2 617s, a 4 inch and a 6 inch, both the same price and condition. Which would you take and why?

I bought the 4 inch, it is a 6 shot wearing pacs, here is a crappy cell phone picture:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Re: What one would you get?

Hi Hunter,

I would choose the 6". I know a lot of guys would choose the 4". But, I have a 6" 648 22 mag that would match up with the 6" 617 nicely. In revolvers as a general rule for me I go for accuracy for hunting and the 6" should a bit better than a 4"r. You get a bit more velocity in the 6" as well.

That would be my choice.

Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts

I prefer 4". This is a function of eyesight. It's harder to use the 6" sights now that I'm older, not that I ever had good eyesight.

My 4" 617 carries well and I can still use the iron sights fairly well.

Perhaps I'll continue to regress until all I shoot are 2 1/2" or so snubbies.
That would be ok, I'm trying to get prepared.

rayb

·
Registered
495 Posts

If you had a choice between 2 617s, a 4 inch and a 6 inch, both the same price and condition. Which would you take and why?
Hello
I would take the 4" Hand's down. I have a 6" and it is a Little Nose Heavy and the 4" Models seem to be much more desireable and a lot harder to locate than the 6" model's are... Hammerdown

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks guys, I was leaning toward the 4 in. My gun monger said they are both LNIB and said he will probably be asking $499.00 for them when he gets them next week and I should be able to knock off another $25 for being a repeat customer. I know I should get them both, but I only can get one.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts

Dom,

Grab up the 4" for the field and the 6" for the safe....

:cool:

Drew

·
Registered
10,876 Posts

Drew, I've heard you state often, you prefer a 4" for field work, not a 6". I'm curious, I consider your experience invaluable with guns, as well as the outdoors, and I'd like to tap it. With my half country, half city roots, I'd be pulling the 6" out, but you say no.....why is that?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts

BC,

I'm 5' 9", 200 lbs. with a 29" inseam. My Tailor says I have the body of a stump. 6" Guns poke me in the slats if I wear a high ride or rap me in the shins in a low slung rig.... 4" (or better a 3- 3 1/2") barreled gun is about all I want to strap on when I'm walking or skiing.

Drew

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

I agree with stumpy, the 4" is easier to tote around in the field. I have both and the 4" will get more use when I'm out in the woods. The 6" is kept locked up for when I just want to plink and show off. I've been able to hit a 4" gong at 70 yards with it.

Yeah, get both... (it's not my $ ;) )

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
20,145 Posts

A .22 is great for target shooting or plinking, and hunting small game, where accuracy is the name of the game. IMHO, I believe that a 6" would be a better choice for this.

For woods carry, I have always been an advocate of at least a
.38 spl., in 2" or 4", when you might have to defend yourself, as well as for dispatching larger game animals. Of course., something more powerful would be preferable. Something in .357 or .44 would fit the bill even better, for a carry gun. kfjdrfirii Bob

BTW Drew(Stumpy)...... I think you just got a new nickname. :lol:

·
Registered
669 Posts

Dom
If you are going to carry it in a holster a lot the 4" would be preferable only because it is lighter. The full lugged 6" gets pretty heavy after a while. Also, the 4" models seem to be more scarce than the 6". I have a 6" Mod. 617 and love it but is sure is a heavy .22 . 2345ll
Bob

·
Registered
238 Posts

Hunter said:
Thanks guys, I was leaning toward the 4 in. My gun monger said they are both LNIB and said he will probably be asking $499.00 for them when he gets them next week and I should be able to knock off another $25 for being a repeat customer. I know I should get them both, but I only can get one.
For that price ($474 ea.) I'd be buying both!
I know you say you can only get one and if that's truly the case I'd go 4".
I don't own a single revolver with a barrel over 5".

·
Registered
297 Posts

My eyes are getting old...I now favor the longer snouted units.

Bob

·
Registered
429 Posts

As I stated earlier that I would prefer the 6"r. I'm like BobK, If I'm carrying the pistol around in the field it is for hunting or target/plinking. To me both would be better in the 6" for accuracy.

Now here's the rub for me with what people say about this issue. that the 4" is easier to carry in the field. Guys, I have no revolver that is less than 6" and I carry each of them in the field, w/out any dismay about it's weight or length. Well I'm sure there are special cases like "Stumpy" (LOL), that create some issue with a 6"r length and weight.

When I carry my 6"r or longer revolvers I usually carry in a thigh strapped holster, the weight is no issue and the length of the gun is not issue since it is at a low position (with my hand down in hanging position the grip is at this position) and can be pulled from holster extremelly easy. Really a great carry position. The 7.5"r with scope I can carry on a shoulder Sidekick Hush system that works very well for heavy and LONG pistols.

So to me that gaining the accuracy I need, is at no hardship when using the right carry holsters for length and position.

Hey everyone has their preferences, but I have found ways to overcome some obsticles when I need to carry 6".

Of course, this is just my opinion and what I do. It works for me.

Dave

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

Dom, you never said what the specific use of the 617's would be. If hunting, I'd favor the 6 inch barrel, because I shot my 6 inch better than my 4 inch.

If just for plinking and for casual wood walks, the lighter 4 inch
would probably be preferable.

Like Drew, I'm built close to the ground. Carrying a Ruger Blackhawk with a 10 inch barrel in a Buscadero rig used to put my 6'3" hunting partner into hysterics.

I carried the 6 inch K-22 in a hunter holster on my belt for a while, but bustin briars was hard on holster and grips. The solution - a shoulder holster under my hunting coat.

I think you already have your mind made up - But you asked.

Hank

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hank, it would primary be for plinking, I guess I am going to pick which ever of the 2 are in the best shape and feel the best once I have them in my hand.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

Well Dom, it seems to me you're in a win, win situation. If you get just half of the enjoyment I had, plinking with my first K-22 (and I hope that you do), I'm sure you will be more than pleased - Good luck.

Hank

·
Registered
16 Posts

Hello Hunter, I have a 617 and 648 both with 6" barrels and I love them. They are great accurate shooters. I would like a 617 4" someday, I have shot one and really liked the way it balanced in my hand. Get both of them!!

·
Registered
592 Posts

My vote, FWIW, would be for the 4". Easy carry, enough sight radius for any practical application you would need a .22 for, and besides I already have 6" .22s.
Dan

Bob.. you might consider Drew's other nickname: Asskicker.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts