Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that seperates the real deal from the wannabee's would be that the ones that Fitz did at the factory had a few items done to them, that many of the modern recreators miss... certainly would want a few of the details dialed in :mrgreen:

An example would be the fine checkering on the top of the bobbed hammer.... The Proof Marks being repositioned might be another. ;)

giz

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I've been waitin' for a photo....

No one is allowed to talk about a Fitz without showing a photo to illustrate.

There used to be an elderly gentleman who had a regular table at the HGCA show in the Astrohall that was always full of genuine Fitz Specials for sale or for trade for other Fitzs. That specialty item seemed to be all he collected or dealt with. They were priced quite high by the standards of the day, but not so by todays standards. They were routinely available back then, but not so today. I haven't seen one for sale for 15+ years.

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Alright go ahead and show that handcannon you got. I've always enjoyed seeing it, nothing but a pure business gun!!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Like all other customized revolvers, they're not for everybody.
HOWEVER...
They're for somebody, and the whole key is in having a varied collection of Fitz Specials.
Love to see a photo...
Don
;)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
98% ...pain and misery - doled out at both ends. ;)

Charlie Askins had one very similar when he was shooting smugglers around El Paso when he was in the USBP. I love to read his unapologetic stories about those days - maybe we wouldn't be having so much border trouble if the Rules of Engagement for our guys wasn't so restrictive.....

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
xtimberman said:
98% ...pain and misery - doled out at both ends. ;)

xtm
OH no, that has to be one sweet gun to shoot!!!!
Those large frame Colt's had enough weight even chopped to handle the .45acp.

PS Giz thanks for posting her again!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To bad...as that is one fine and unique gun.... :)

I cannot recall seeing another example of a Fitz like the one in your pic...Have to wonder if another cylinder was bored for a .357 Mag at a later date...

Anyrate, very interesting gun and thanks for sharing. Any other details you can recall would be most appreciated...

giz

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Giz, I just had to revive this thread. The Fitz-Special is a fascinating piece. I can't say it is
pretty, but it is IMPRESSIVE! It bespeaks of business, VIOLENT BUSINESS, at close quarters;
J. Henry's man stopper, it's main function.

I'm given to understand men like Wm. E. Fairbairn, asst. police commissioner of the
Shanghai Municipl Police carried one; back when Shanghai was considered the most
dangerous city on earth. I would suppose others who had a real need so equipped themselves.
I know Col. Rex Applegate had one, whether he had occassion to use it,
I don't know. From what I have read Col. Rex walked in a few dark places.

So your Fitz-Special is SPECIAL, I'm thinking you have received a few comments about it.

Hank

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hank,

Thanks for the comments...it is a very special Fitz style gun. It has a lot of history attached to it. Unfortunately, none of it will ever be documented, as the nephew that sold it, refuses to validate it. I independently validated the story and so much of it rings true...that it is truly a shame. When the Uncle passed on, that was the end of the tale. The nephew hates guns, got rid of everything his Uncle had. It was a neat collection of period guns, police equipment....badges, come-alongs, saps, etc.... All brought to a dealer in a box, including the Fitz :shock:

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Gizamo said:
Hank,

Thanks for the comments...it is a very special Fitz style gun. It has a lot of history attached to it. Unfortunately, none of it will ever be documented, as the nephew that sold it, refuses to validate it. I independently validated the story and so much of it rings true...that it is truly a shame. When the Uncle passed on, that was the end of the tale. The nephew hates guns, got rid of everything his Uncle had. It was a neat collection of period guns, police equipment....badges, come-alongs, saps, etc.... All brought to a dealer in a box, including the Fitz :shock:

giz

I've gotten to where I really dislike folks that care nothing for thier family history, and refuse to pass it on. I know I won't have to worry about that with my kids.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts