Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed these this morning, I flushed a little brown bird (moved too fast too get a good look) off this nest. It's right on the ground and was hidden under some ferns.

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
They look like robin eggs, except robins nest in trees. I don't know of any ground nesting birds that lay colorful eggs, they are usually colored in earth tones with speckles for camouflage.

If possible try to sneak up at a later time and get a picture, I am very curious as to the species of bird.

·
Registered
37 Posts
WGlide90 said:
Ya looks like Robin eggs, but it is pretty late in year for them.

Also, it looks like poison ivy in foreground.
+1 to what he said.

I only have to look at poison ivy to get it.
I hate that stuff. kufO

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Geoff, I think you got it, here is a discription of their nesting habits which I can see resembles the picture David took:

Nesting.--The nest of the hermit thrush is a compact structure but often bulky in the amount of nesting materials used. The foundation and exterior of a typical nest are composed of twigs, strips of wood, bark fibers, dried grass, and ferns and ornamented on the outside by bits of green moss. The lining is made up of pine needles, delicate plant fibers, or fine rootlets. The interior dimensions of the nesting bowl are about 2 3/4 inches across by 2 inches deep.

The nest is generally built on the ground and in a natural depression of a knoll or hummock, often under a small fir or hemlock whose branches touch the ground, forming a kind of protective canopy over the nest. One nest found in northern Michigan was in a rather open space of woodland and was completely surrounded by blossoming bunchberries, and another nest was completely hidden from view by a luxuriant growth of ferns.

Eggs: 3-4, oval or long oval. Pale blue, typically unmarked with a slight gloss.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
well you guys blew out my guess of Easter eggs

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
My first impulse was to reply 'blue ones'.

But since that wouldn't be helpful, I decided not to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts