Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hipnp I found this in a collection of stuff in an estate sale. It has the Browning stag logo on the other side and it is obviously used with a shotgun in some fashion. It has marks on it indicating shotgun gauge sizes. So I know at least enough to say it goes to a Browning shotgun. But what is it and what's it for?

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
That is a shotgun bore gauge or a choke tube wrench.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't wnat to sound flippant or stupid but....

What is a shotgun bore gauge used for?
I can look at a barrel and tell you what gauge it is.
Why would I need this then?
Is it to verify that a barrel is to size/spec?

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
LOL, I did an "or" it is pobably a choke tube wrench, but I could see it being used to check the bore size for someone that doesn't shoot a lot. I bet a lot of people never even saw a 10 or 16 gauge shotgun. I guess it would also depend on how old it is. If it is older than when choke tubes where invented, I would go with a gauge.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you may have just answered my question.
Let's see if somebody can confirm your answer and my suspision.
You can do confirm it too if your sure.
I think you might be right with it being a choke tube wrench.
There is a Browning Model A500G 12 Ga. shotgun over there that has 3 different choke tubes that go with it. I know the choke tubes can be swapped out depending on the use, but that's about all I know about them. I couldn't figure out how to do it.
I can't even figure out why you would need to change them out.
I'm just guessing at this point in time.
Different shot loads or what you're going to be shooting at?
They are something like 1/2 choke, 3/4 choke and full choke tubes if I remember right.

Maybe this is the wrench to change them out?

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Here is one similar to yours, so I would check this off as a confirmed choke tube wrench.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/produ ... rodid/6904

Different choke tubes are used to achieve different patterns when shooting a shotgun, they come in many constrictions, but the most common are Improved cylinder for close shooting, Modified for a little further reach and Full for a long shot.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I have a Mossberg 500. I know a little bit about the shot types.
Can the chokes be used with #6 shot as well as lets say 0 or 00 Buck
Or is there a limit as to what shot you should use a choke with?
I have 00, #6, #7-1/2, #8 shot for my 12 Ga. And I've always shot it without a choke.

Can I get different choke tubes for my shotgun? And, can I use them for all of the shot sizes, or just some of them? It sounds like they may be able to make an improvement in my shooting.
I'll learn, but your answers are so helpful it will narrow down what I need to figure out without wasting a bunch of time on the other stuff.

By th way--- A big ihfnlllllq for the help here.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Turkey tubes are choked pretty tight with every body and their brother claiming to have the best. Steel shot and duck/goose legal tubes are a bit less restrictive because of the shot. About any shot size can be used with any given choke tube {slugs are another matter} and just experimenting with shot/shell and your purpose will figure what is best. I would not shoot a shot gun without a screw in tube installed. I think the threads would clog up and deform after use. It seems like every gun maker has their oun choke tube with little ability to cross them, IE, Remington tubes will not fit a Winchester/Browning. Browning has multiple tubes for differnt models that will not interchange.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
My 'gun guy' Tim has a choke guage....and it don't look like that!! :eek: It's like a tapered tube that fits in the end of the barrel. The amount that it goes inside corresponds to each different choke. That thing doesn't show different "degrees of choke". So, obviously....or not, :roll: it isn't for "choke".

That is.... a choke tube wrench to fit all guages of Browning shotguns. The "shoulders" engage the slots in the tubes. Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts