Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay bought this in a estate as a lot. at first I thought it was a 625. But the barrel oh this barrel has not one marking on it. And unlike most smiths it does not say the full info on the one side just MADE IN USA. And of course the smith emblem on the other side. serial number on the butt is 2057xx and inside the hinge is 39527. It is a 45 acp with moon clips. Honestly want to sell it and just don’t know what to value it at because I don’t know what it is. This one has me stumped. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,678 Posts
Since the frame has the 1 line address, I would think someone took an old model 1917 frame and built a competition gun. I bet it shoots nice
The model of 1917 was originally built for the army in WW1 in caliber 45 acp. What is stamped on the butt besides the serial number?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the frame has the 1 line address, I would think someone took an old model 1917 frame and built a competition gun. I bet it shoots nice
The model of 1917 was originally built for the army in WW1 in caliber 45 acp. What is stamped on the butt besides the serial number?
On the back of the butt it is stamped 23138. What do you think a decent asking price is.

·
Registered
12,678 Posts
I don't really know the value and it's hard to say without the gun in hand. It looks to be a well done modification and while many turn their nose up at modified competition revolvers because they may have had the snot shot out of them, but not always,and some seek them out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't really know the value and it's hard to say without the gun in hand. It looks to be a well done modification and while many turn their nose up at modified competition revolvers because they may have had the snot shot out of them, but not always,and some seek them out
This seems not to be shot at all. There is not a ring on the revolver. And the trigger is real really nice and crisp. Maybe I will take it to the gun show this weekend. I do have one guy that offered $1000. And wants it asap that Is what kinda got me more interested in it. He seems to want it just figured maybe he knew something I didn’t.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
LOT of dough spent rebuilding this. Advise finding out what you can about the builder "N. A. Ridgefield NJ.", before selling, though that seems like a righteous offer.

·
Registered
12,678 Posts
I was thinking on the low end, around $700, and high end of maybe $1100. With that range I was reluctant to put a value out there. If the gunsmith who put it all together is well known then the value would be on the higher end. Don't know what you paid, but I agree that $1000 is a decent offer

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Interesting gun... that "N.A. Rdgfld, NL" stamp on the grip frame, could that be Navy Arms, Ridgefield, NJ. and maybe where the donor gun came from... an imported (repatriated) or surplus 1917?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting gun... that "N.A. Rdgfld, NL" stamp on the grip frame, could that be Navy Arms, Ridgefield, NJ. and maybe where the donor gun came from... an imported (repatriated) or surplus 1917?
That would be a solid guess... Navy Arms import of the base revolver.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
I don't see anything on this 1917 revolver that places it at a Brazil import. I think it's just a modified 1917 and the eagle head and number is an inspection seal from the US government. Value that's a tough one. You can buy a new 625 for around $800 and I rather buy one than a modified revolver. Maybe you should have grabbed the $1000.00 offer.

·
Premium Member
18,632 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Grab that $1K and run! You are unlikely to get another offer like that. BTW, the serial number is too low for it to be a Brazilian model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well known fact that the first + second Brazilian contracts used many early numbered 1917 frames + parts that were setting in dormant stock from WWI - doubt if Navy ever imported any other 1917's then the Brazilians -

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let's just cut to the chase, shall we?
As you can see, value is all over the place, usually related to location - some guns are in demand in some areas of the country, etc., etc. What you have is a heavily-modified competition revolver. There is a rather narrow audience for those because it's modified and even more narrow because it's a revolver instead of a semi-auto. Most collectors don't like these guns because they only want "original condition," even if that means no finish left. I don't know what you have in it, but $1000 for that gun is AWESOME and I'd be shaking with excitement as I wrote the bill of sale. Unless you have more than $1K in it - and if you do, you're upside-down - you already have what is likely the best offer you're gonna get. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts