Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine gave me a bunch of button nose wadcutters. Now the question, were these coated or just not lubed. He gave me about 400 of these. If I owned a lubersizer I'd run them through it before use them. They are
green colored. Any ideas about these. I made up about 20 of these the other day and haven't worked up the nerve to shoot them.
Cliff image.jpeg

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Hey Cliff,

Powder coating come in a variety of colors.

Shoot them. They will be just fine.

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut and Cliff

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
It is probably powder coated (paint) but do not look shiny enough? Kinda look like the Hornady wad cutters with the duty look lube, graphite??

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Back in another Millennium, swaged lead wadcutter bullets were made by almost every bullet company. Most were lubed with dry graphite powder. If loaded in a 38 Spl case with 2.8 grains of fast pistol powder, Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, AA #2, Win 231, or what ever you have on the shelf, the velocity is about 750 FPS to 800 FPS. This will be an accurate load, not loud, no muzzle blast, and accurate at 25 yards. You might need 3.0 grains to have good accuracy at 50 yards.

There will be no leading at this low velocity. I would not lead my Leader astray.

​I have 5,000+ 38 Spl wadcutter loads with 148 Lee wadcutter cast bullets, 2.7 - 2.9 grains of fast pistol powder that I have been shooting for 3 years with no leading, no muzzle blast and excellent accuracy.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took my green wadcutter reloads. Didn't take but about 30 minutes to get the lead out. This new systems is great.Really like the 5second delay. Might drill holes in them and use them for plastic worm sinkers.Cliff

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Well I took my green wadcutter reloads. Didn't take but about 30 minutes to get the lead out. This new systems is great.Really like the 5second delay. Might drill holes in them and use them for plastic worm sinkers.Cliff
Well, that pretty much rules out powdercoating.
I'm thinking graphite or other dry lube.
If you want to get rid of them I'll gladly pay the shipping for you to send 'em my way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts