Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friends,
I'm feeling a bit duped here. Bought what seems to be a 22LR nice rifle to get some affordable range time while we wait out the ammo shortages. BUT didn't know that S&W (or anyone aftermarket) stopped making magazines for it.\
I know that the costs of the ammo metals are up and scarce. But, the M&P 15-22 magazines are very low-tech, super simple molded plastic. What is the hold up? I'm starting to wish I bought a Ruger or HK 22LR instead. Ruger 22LR mags are available everywhere.
Anyway, holding out a little longer before switching to another 22LR rifle with available magazines. Very disappointed in S&W. Please share any news about this if you have it.
Thanks & Safe Shooting. - T

·
Super Moderator
19,773 Posts
The gun shop I work at has plenty of them. We have rarely been out, and usually have at least a 2-3 week supply in stock.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
It isn't just metal in short supply - it is EVERYTHING world-wide. Kia/Hyundai, for example, has shutdown their GA/AL car plants because of chips and material shortages. There are hundreds of cargo ships waiting to get offloaded but no truckers to deliver the goods; this is not going away anytime soon.

Reactions: lifebird

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
$29.99 at MidwayUSA.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
I have had a 15-22 since 2013. Magazines for it have never been plentiful at gun shops, so I got mine on the internet. Many web retailers have a way to be notified when the item you want is in stock, so sign up for notifications.
There used to be 2 aftermarket manufacturers of magazines for these. ProMag made a nice 32 round mag, but was hit with a patent infringement lawsuit by S&W and ceased production back in 2013. The other was made by Plinker tactical and was a 35 round magazine. They were also ordered to cease production a year or 2 ago because of patent infringement, but it was Magpul that took the legal action.

·
Registered
17,794 Posts
What does that infer 'blocked or pinned to 10 rounds'??? Why would you buy a 20 round mag that only holds 10? I don't get that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
$29.99 at MidwayUSA.
Midway is out of stock with no back order.

What does that infer 'blocked or pinned to 10 rounds'??? Why would you buy a 20 round mag that only holds 10? I don't get that.
The ad says they hold 25 rounds but are pinned to ten rounds. Maybe the pin is removeable without too much difficulty. I dunno but a 10 round mag is better than no mag.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
The 10 round mags are for communist states. The long mag that is pinned to 10 rounds is so it looks like you have a high capacity magazine. They legally have to be made so they can not be easily converted to a higher capacity. I really can think of no other reason for the fake 25 round magazines to exist other than that the mall ninjas think it looks cooler than the short 10 round mags.
When I got my 15-22. I had no idea how long the magazines with polymer feed lips would last so when places had them on sale, I stocked up. I am still using the original 4 I got in 2013, along with 2 of the ProMag 32 round mags I got at the same time. Sometime a few years after that I bought 2 of the short 10 rounders for shooting off a rest or bench. I have 4 of the 25 round mags still in the package for replacements when my current batch finally wears out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bummer. They cannot ship from Canada to the US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It isn't just metal in short supply - it is EVERYTHING world-wide. Kia/Hyundai, for example, has shutdown their GA/AL car plants because of chips and material shortages. There are hundreds of cargo ships waiting to get offloaded but no truckers to deliver the goods; this is not going away anytime soon.
The gun shop I work at has plenty of them. We have rarely been out, and usually have at least a 2-3 week supply in stock.
Please send the URL to your gunshop. I'll check it out. Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 15-22 came with a 20 round blocked magazine(NJ compliant) and the first thing I did was to buy two short 10 rounders. I just added two more when I ordered some .223 and 9mm mags.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand from the interweb that the "tall" 10 rnd mags, which look just like the 25s can be altered and made into 25's Some dude posted about it here in 2013, maybe '12? That's how I found this forum. Trying ANYTHING to get a few 25 rnd M&P15-22 mags. The 10 rnd conversion, though, seems sketchy or at least makes me able to break a perfectly running 10 rnd magazine. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts