Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one designed to stump ya'...

For the very astute, one of the three tins gives away the other two's purpose.... ;)

Step right up and take a Wild Arzed Guess. I will let a hint get away. No long hunter would be without this set....

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Small tin for flint and steel, Large for carrying smolder, medium for dry tinder??????

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoulda excluded you and XTM... :mrgreen:

OK, what is the char from then, smarty pants? :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I was gonna say that the small tin was for snoose.... guess I'm no "Long Hunter" then.... ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK,

Clue time....

The only thing I see the stuff used for is crafts these days. Some folks gather it and paint pictures on it... It is something you find in the woods....Something someone in the 1700's would find as readily available as a modern sojourner.... ;)

This stuff was very commonly used for making Char...

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Gizamo said:
OK,

Clue time....

The only thing I see the stuff used for is crafts these days. Some folks gather it and paint pictures on it... It is something you find in the woods....Something someone in the 1700's would find as readily available as a modern sojourner.... ;)

This stuff was very commonly used for making Char...

giz
An artists conch?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shaun,

Woodsmen today find these semi-circular growths on decaying trees...albeit, some are better then others.... :mrgreen:

And on a wet day this type of char will hold a ember for a long time...much better then char cloth.

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
That copper "tin" is especially nice! Wonderful craftsmanship!

I've seen photos of 200 year-old tins with possibles and have wondered about noise. Sorta hard to keep that stuff completely quiet when you're traveling through the woods.

The glass lens is a nice addition, too. No doubt that they were available to the well-heeled backwoodsmen. Do the PC/HC bunch sputter and spew?

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xtm,

Actually the Fire Lens was PC and HC for the period.... :)

Going hiking with the Grandkids tomorrow and I will gather up some of the Conch Fungus that grows on the rotting trees...That and we will pick some white birch bark as starter. I've managed to find a good deal of Tow and recently managed to find a original ember tong....(used mostly for lighting clay pipes) :mrgreen:

Talk about a arcane collection of artifacts.... ;)

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Gizamo said:
Shaun,

Woodsmen today find these semi-circular growths on decaying trees...albeit, some are better then others.... :mrgreen:

And on a wet day this type of char will hold a ember for a long time...much better then char cloth.

giz
I repeat.....Artist's Conch.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's kinda fun to look into what someone else carries. You can figure what guns he shoot's from such a kit. Bet there are only a handful of folks here that could I.D. all the goodies in that tin...

Not seeing a feather or toothpic tells me that your shooting mostly percussion guns, for example... ;) ....

I managed to collect a haversack and shooting bag this Summer. Both are covered in melted beeswax...They are both of canvas and very plain. But they are more in keeping with a Maine longhunter's gear. The shooting bag carries a kit such as yours. Ball and a day horn inside. I no longer wear a full horn, as it makes no sense. I do wear a priming horn measure from my neck. I'm finding that I need less and less of the acoutrements, if I plan things right... kfjdrfirii

Anyhow, it's amazing how organized a simple tin makes things....

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
You guessed right - no flinters! I have just the two SxS perc. shotguns and a perc. .50 cal Sharon plains rifle.

Each one of those items has a specific use for a firearm that I have presently or had in the past. I can't remember what I used the .44 cal FMJ for? I've never shot a jacketed bullet out of a ML, but I put it in that tin for some specific and forgotten purpose.

My bag is not PC, but it's canvas, too - a WWI gas mask bag. Some of the pretty decorated-up leather ones look waaay too much like a ladies' purse to suit my homophobic sensibilities. :roll: Some of my shootin' buds must've picked up on this. I have a leather Civil War couriers' pouch stamped "CS" (repro.) that I use as a shell bag on dove shoots and when banging away at clays - and I always get some "Nice Purse!" comments. :)

xtm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts