Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share an article I found interesting
BALL AMMO

·
Registered
12,024 Posts
Good read! I have seen standard 230gr ball ammo almost pass through a dry, treated 4x4 post. I used to hang targets from the post. After it was pretty well shot up I did some surgery and that when I found the 45s almost through and still pretty much the same shape as when fired

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
..."almost pass through a dry, treated 4x4 post."

Many years ago..I acquired a Sig P220. A friend was going to to a local range to do some trap shooting and asked if I'd like to come along. Sure! On arrival he was last one squadded and I'd have to wait my turn. So I wandered over to the pistol range. I took out my Sig and proceeded to blast apart a 4x4 post about 50 feet down range. Wow..this thing can really shoot! It's like I could not miss. A passerby noticed my prowess and came over for a chat. After complementing me for my marksmanship he politely asked me to stop..and I was asked to leave. Huh?? It seems they frowned on people shooting their target holders and I had broken the rules. I went over and watched my friend shoot a couple of rounds of trap and he at least got a chuckle out of it all. Lesson learned...:)

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Interesting though I don't reload any round nose projectiles. I never knew what 'ball' referred to. Now, I do.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Interesting though I don't reload any round nose projectiles. I never knew what 'ball' referred to. Now, I do.
That is surprising. I dont know if you have a ton of time with or own many 1911's but ... the subject of ball vs anything else when you bring up 1911 is like asking What oil do you use in your motorcycle. For some reason it quickly devolves into flaming and strong feelings .. which I always find stupid!

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Interesting article and the Ball ammo was really deadly to the Bowling Pins even with their hard covers. Curiosity got better of me and I dismantled a retired bowling pin. The lead and hollow points stuck in outer skin but the ball ammo either went clean through or burried deep in pin very close to exiting. That is what got me thinking about penetration and the energy transferred by specific ammo. still very good and affordable for target practice.

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
That is surprising. I dont know if you have a ton of time with or own many 1911's but ... the subject of ball vs anything else when you bring up 1911 is like asking What oil do you use in your motorcycle. For some reason it quickly devolves into flaming and strong feelings .. which I always find stupid!
Why? Like I said, I never bought any factory ball ammo and never knew whet the term actually referred to. I thought maybe it referred to shooting someone or some animal in the gonads....:D

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Why? Like I said, I never bought any factory ball ammo and never knew whet the term actually referred to. I thought maybe it referred to shooting someone or some animal in the gonads....:D
While I like your description better the only reason I am surprised is because it is such a hot topic. Honestly!

If you participated on gun boards outside of this one and especially boards that focus on 1911's ... Ball ammo and arguments for or against them are frequent topics.

They usually start with .. "I have a new 1911 that wont feed" Then its on. You will then get history of the 1911 yadda yadda.... Guys will actually get all heated about it and like the "how much ammo is enough for my carry gun" They get stupid.

I dont feel the need to get in heated debates over equipment. Use what ya like and I will make my own decisions about what is right for me.

but ... 1911's and ball ammo is a hard discussion to avoid even among friends.

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
While I like your description better the only reason I am surprised is because it is such a hot topic. Honestly!

If you participated on gun boards outside of this one and especially boards that focus on 1911's ... Ball ammo and arguments for or against them are frequent topics.

They usually start with .. "I have a new 1911 that wont feed" Then its on. You will then get history of the 1911 yadda yadda.... Guys will actually get all heated about it and like the "how much ammo is enough for my carry gun" They get stupid.

I dont feel the need to get in heated debates over equipment. Use what ya like and I will make my own decisions about what is right for me.
Honestly, I don't. Only other forum I frequent and not that often is Long Range Hunting. I have everything I need on this one and I'm not big into forums anyway. I don't need opinions about ammunition. I look at opinions like butt holes. Everyone has one and most stink. Been building very high quality ammunition for 15 years an least. I know exactly what I'm doing but I never knew the definition of 'ball ammunition, though I've seen it before.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
..."almost pass through a dry, treated 4x4 post."

Many years ago..I acquired a Sig P220. A friend was going to to a local range to do some trap shooting and asked if I'd like to come along. Sure! On arrival he was last one squadded and I'd have to wait my turn. So I wandered over to the pistol range. I took out my Sig and proceeded to blast apart a 4x4 post about 50 feet down range. Wow..this thing can really shoot! It's like I could not miss. A passerby noticed my prowess and came over for a chat. After complementing me for my marksmanship he politely asked me to stop..and I was asked to leave. Huh?? It seems they frowned on people shooting their target holders and I had broken the rules. I went over and watched my friend shoot a couple of rounds of trap and he at least got a chuckle out of it all. Lesson learned...:)

I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum when I was a teenager. I was at a friends house in the country and we hung a paper plate on a pine tree in their backyard that had about a ten inch trunk. After several rounds, the tree fell over. Boy was his mother mad. She had planted that tree when they bought the place about twenty years before.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
^ When we moved from BB guns up to pellet guns, the 6" tops of young white pine seedlings made dandy targets...until we were informed that what we were doing was wrong, and not allowed on the property!

Ah..the ignorance of youth. :)

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum when I was a teenager. I was at a friends house in the country and we hung a paper plate on a pine tree in their backyard that had about a ten inch trunk. After several rounds, the tree fell over. Boy was his mother mad. She had planted that tree when they bought the place about twenty years before.
I did that before but with a 12 gauge pump shotgun and rifled slugs. Poor man's chainsaw...:D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
After complementing me for my marksmanship he politely asked me to stop..and I was asked to leave. Huh?? It seems they frowned on people shooting their target holders and I had broken the rules. I went over and watched my friend shoot a couple of rounds of trap and he at least got a chuckle out of it all.
Jeez, what's humorous about destroying range equipment that someone else--not you--paid for & installed? After years of replacing 4x4 target holders at the range I manage, because instead of attaching targets to the plastic webbing stretched between the posts, some yahoos pinned targets directly to the posts, I replaced them all with 3" galvanized pipe--which doesn't come cheap.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I think I read that fmj and ball ammo were adopted by the Geneva Convention as standard for military use in order to lessen horrific wounds caused by bullets designed to tumble or fragment.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Hague Convention of 1899:

Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Bullets which can Easily Expand or Change their Form inside the Human Body such as Bullets with a Hard Covering which does not Completely Cover the Core, or containing Indentations

This declaration states that, in any war between signatory powers, the parties will abstain from using "bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body." This directly banned soft-point bullets (which had a partial metal jacket and an exposed tip) and "cross-tipped" bullets (which had a cross-shaped incision in their tip to aid in expansion, nicknamed "Dum Dums" from the Dum Dum Arsenal in India). It was ratified by all major powers, except the United States.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Hague Convention of 1899:

Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Bullets which can Easily Expand or Change their Form inside the Human Body such as Bullets with a Hard Covering which does not Completely Cover the Core, or containing Indentations

This declaration states that, in any war between signatory powers, the parties will abstain from using "bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body." This directly banned soft-point bullets (which had a partial metal jacket and an exposed tip) and "cross-tipped" bullets (which had a cross-shaped incision in their tip to aid in expansion, nicknamed "Dum Dums" from the Dum Dum Arsenal in India). It was ratified by all major powers, except the United States.
Yep, Hauge the US didn't go along with it.

Laws and Rules of War.?? Pretty crazy. Yet it is OK to use land mines, us whatever bombs and blow people to bits or burn them to death , but heck no, don't use any "harmful bullets??:confused:

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
"Jeez, what's humorous about destroying range equipment that someone else--not you--paid for & installed?"

First off...I was 20 years old..so 42 years ago...and I had never been to a "real" range. I was not familiar with the range rules....as most of the places I plinked at were just old gravel pits,old dumps or my back yard.

My friend thought is was humorous because I got reprimanded..not because I was destroying property. I had a knack for finding things out the hard way, and he knew it.

Jeeeezo..talk about touchy. It's getting so you can't post anything without upsetting someone nowadays.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
"Jeez, what's humorous about destroying range equipment that someone else--not you--paid for & installed?"

First off...I was 20 years old..so 42 years ago...and I had never been to a "real" range. I was not familiar with the range rules....
Knowledge of "range rules" is unnecessary if one has learned to respect the property of others. My parents had taught me that lesson before I reached the age of 8 or 9...by which time I had already been given my first rifle. Though it's a lesson many grown men NEVER learn, as I see demonstrated continually at the range I run--a club range, where you'd assume members would have the brains to take care of "their" property.

Yes, where bad behavior, especially bad behavior involving guns, is concerned, I'm very touchy, & make no apology for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts