Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gizamo just put up a post for a .32 he just acquired (We are so jelouse)
And he said it would make a good "KIT GUN".
I've heard the expression a few times and still can't decipher what it means.
Can somebody explain it so I can understand?

Thanks in advance, ~GQ~

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
A kit gun is designed to be taken on camping, hiking and misc. trips. It is small and can fit in your kit, or backpack.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Kit gun refers to a small hand gun that was carried in a fishing tackle box, or something similar. Usually of 22 caliber.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I believe Smith and Wesson referred to their kit gun as the 22/32 Kit Gun. My question: Did they ever make it in 32 caliber, or does this refer to the frame size.

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
the 22/32 designates a 22 cal in a 32 cal frame {I frame}

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
IIRC :roll: , back afew decades, when I was startin' out with guns, I believe S&W listed a .38 spl. under the "Kit Gun" name. I prefer to carry a .38 when I'm out in the woods.......so my old nickle M-36 2" is my "Kit Gun". It can provide good protection against 2 or 4 legged predators! ;) I carry it in a holster on my belt. Don't want to have to search in my rucksack when I need it!!! I feel that a .22 is only useful against an enraged (or rabid) wabbit or squirrel. :lol: Bob

·
Registered
197 Posts
yes, the term "Kit" was just that, your travel bag, "tote", rucksack, saddle back, what ever the usage of "luggage" was used,and by "whom" ( the trade or the job even...) even Bill Ruger stated he wanted his early Bearcat revolver to be "small & able to compete with the S&W 'Kit guns..." kfjdrfirii
Today it would be called a "fanny bag...." fhfjjjj

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorta like the "old song" Pack up your troubles in an old "kit bag", sorta thing?

Now that, I understand.

Thanks for the great explainations.
Gregory

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Hey guys, I have posted my thoughts about a .38 spl. "Kit Gun" several times on this (and the Blue) Forums. But.....nobody confirms this. Does anybody, besides this wacked out old feller, remember it? :roll:

Drew, As our old S&W expert......could you shed some light on my "delusional" delema???? I believe it was in the early 80's. Tell me that it's true ......and let an old guy rest in peace. :roll: :lol: Bob

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Bob K said:
Hey guys, I have posted my thoughts about a .38 spl. "Kit Gun" several times on this (and the Blue) Forums. But.....nobody confirms this. Does anybody, besides this wacked out old feller, remember it? :roll:
Bob,

Somewhere around the house I have a gun writeup in one of the old mags from ~1965 referring to the then-new stainless M-60 as S&W's new "Kit Gun". It was more a figment of the author of the article than anything else. The article featured a photo of a standard .38 Special M-60 sitting in a nasty tacklebox with a bunch of stuff that would normally be heck on a standard blue steel finish. Being the first commercial stainless steel firearm, the S&W M-60 was a big deal at the time - and was featured as a harsh-condition rough-and-tumble personal firearm.

I'm not interested enough to study S&W esoterica, so I don't recall S&W offering a "Kit Gun" in .38 Special....

As Dave says, "Hope that helps!" :D

xtm

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bob K said:

Bob
There was a gun called the .38/32 Terrier which had some of the characteristics of a Kit Gun -- small frame, short barrel, round butt -- but it was manufactured in the late prewar era and then again in the late '40s and early '50s. It was a five shot gun chambered in .38 S&W (not .38 special), and it was a round butt version of the gun that S&W marketed as the .38 Regulation Police -- except that the Terrier had a two-inch barrel, and you could get different barrel lengths on the .38 RP (as I recall).

The Terrier was built on the I-frame, like the prewar .32 models and the .22/32 Target and Kit Gun models. It was mostly a defensive hide-out gun -- very small, easily concealable, and in .38 S&W caliber perhaps had a little more stopping power than the .32 revolvers of the day. Eventually, when the I-frames morphed into J-frames and became available in .38 Special, the Terrier just disappeared.

But if adjustable sights are a characteristic of kit guns in the general sense, the Terrier wouldn't count. It had fixed sights. The gun was pretty much designed for close-in work; I doubt that anyone who carried one ever expected to use it to hit something lots of yards away.

I have no knowledge that anyone ever called the Terrier a "kit gun," but I thought I'd throw this out as a possible source for what you are remembering.

David

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Well, thanks guys. :( But, I wasn't refering to anything that old. I, supposedly, saw it in a then current S&W catalog. This was, most likely, in the late 70's, or in the 80's.

But, anyway, I do prefer to have a M-36 2" (at least) handy on my hip while fishing, hunting, or just woods walking. That's what a "Kit Gun" is all about! ;) Bob

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Here's your .38spl Kit-Gun. SW 60-4 3" lugged barrel with adjustable sights. Also makes for a dandy CCW gun. Last one on the right.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Thanks, Leighton!!! ;) That's close enough..........I guess!!!
:roll: Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
gearchecker said:
Sorta like the "old song" Pack up your troubles in an old "kit bag", sorta thing?
Correct but more like "Pack up for Troubles in your old kit bag" I belive the original idea of a Kit gun was one in the backpack for emergency / survival needs. Usually refers to a revolver since they have the ability to lie around for a few years before trying to fire it. The great thing about 22 or 32 kit guns is the ability to gather meat if it calls for it. Now with EDC holsters this idea may not be as relevant. These days there is less chance of getting lost for 3 days and more chance of 2 legged trouble. My current idea of a great choice for the bottom of the tackle/tool/boat/truck box would be an old retired police-service 64 better for defense but might make a mess of squirrels. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts