Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought a M&P-15 ORC several months back. I made some additions such as Magpul forend/handguard, Magpul steel BUIS, Eotech 512 HWS, and Magpul sling. I also put on a Magpul angled fore grip but I removed it because I didn't like the added weight or feel. (I do have an angled fore grip on my pump shotgun which feels great though.) I'm planning to change the trigger and still on the fence whether or not I will add a light and/or laser. I am looking for some good advise on what other internal parts I should upgrade to enhance functionality and reliability. After about 700-800 rounds of good 5.56 ammo through the gun, I have not had one FTF, FTE, or any problems whatsoever with the rifle.

Here's a couple of shots of what she looks like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,222 Posts
I keep my AR as light and compact as possible. All the stuff you hang off it can get caught in clothing and straps.

Lights and lasers lead the bad guy directly back to you. If you use a light, it's often smarter to use a handheld one held off to the side in your weak side hand.

A two stage trigger might be a useful addition.

Right now, you've got about as much on it as I would ever add on a defensive AR.

Marc

Reactions: mmitch

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
My AR which was my patrol rifle when I was working follows the K.I.S.S. principal and it goes bang every time I want it to.

Gun Firearm Airsoft Trigger Airsoft gun

You should not have to make any internal upgrades to have it function reliably and from what you say it is reliable.

I use Militec-1 lubricant on my Stag AR after cleaning. It is proven in combat and works well for me.

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

Reactions: 71Chevrolet

·
Registered
422 Posts
"After 700-800- rds. .....; I have not had one FTF,FTE, or any problems" Well, hey! If it ain't broke don't fix it 'til it is, huh? Nick

·
Super Moderator
19,841 Posts
This is a pretty serious trigger improvement. they have 3 designs based on the shooters needs.
I've read good thing about this product line over on the AR websites. It's worth taking a look.
They're called HIPERFIRE. Any time you can improve the trigger, it'll translate into better and tighter groupings.

Here's a link
HIPERFIRE

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I agree. It's working just fine. Why spend money when you don't have to.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Looks pretty good as is to me. I like that you added the back up flip sights on it, the fact that the OR model didn't come with them was the only thing I didn't like about it when I was shopping around for one. You have a nice rifle, if it was me I'd invest the money in more ammo or components (if you reload.)Best regards, Mike

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
I haven't found any reason to change anything internally w/ my M&P 15 Sport. Straight out of the box I tried to see how many rounds it would take before it fouled enough to start miss feeding... after close to 6,000 rounds w/out cleaning it still didn't even hiccup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you, thank you. Yes I agree, a trigger upgrade will be coming in the near future. I will look into the Hiperfire trigger, thanks Gregory.

Hear me out. When I brought my Remington 870 Express Tactical Magpul 12Ga shotgun there were many internal upgrades I made to make a good shotgun even better. I changed the extractor to a non-mim extractor, I changed the Rem stock mag follower to an aluminum follower, I improved many of the internal springs by changing to heavy duty springs, etc. What I actually did was change the shotgun to basically the Police model which can't be purchased by a civilian.

Now that I said all that, I was looking to see if the internal springs, bolts, extractors, etc., etc., could be changed to make a stock M&P 15 even better than it already is. You see, with the Shotgun you can find all types of upgrades to make a good gun better. The AR platform is new to me and I wanted to see if I could make a good gun even better.

All of your feedback is welcome. This is why we are all here on the M&P-15 forum. GLTA

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
IMHO Remington is a whole lot lesser quality than the M&P 15. Nearly all of the guns brought into my shop were Remington or Mossberg, I have no interest in owning either one. I trust my M&P15 to be as dependable as anything mechanical can be. A nicer trigger may be in order but I'd spend my money on ammo & practice.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I haven't found any reason to change anything internally w/ my M&P 15 Sport. Straight out of the box I tried to see how many rounds it would take before it fouled enough to start miss feeding... after close to 6,000 rounds w/out cleaning it still didn't even hiccup.
Hey 'bro, what ammo are you using? That is down right impressive!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I usually pick two or three guns to take to the range. When I take the M&P-15 I definitely load up on ammo to shoot!

Well ya all got me thinking here. Maybe the gun is done. Give it a good cleaning after a shoot and look at it in my cabinet. I do like to fiddle on them though. I actually thought my Remington had a good degree of quality, ya know, Cerakote finish and all. After 10 million produced they make them pretty good to go now. As I upgraded I learned more about the gun. I became a better shooter as well. It's a hobby that's in my blood. I want to play with it and then shoot it. Sometimes just looking at it in the cabinet is just not enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, Steve

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Well, now you need to buy some more guns to work on... (just trying to keep my 'enabler' status alive). :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
...If you use a light, it's often smarter to use a handheld one held off to the side in your weak side hand...
While trying to use a rifle??

Steve, there are only three things that I can think of that will make using your rifle easier to use
1) Remove your FCG, clean it and apply grease to the pivot points, sears and the bottom curve of the hammer. Reinstall

2) Change the location of the rear sling mount. You can see there is a slot in the buttstock. Loop your sling through the slot and around the top of the stock. Arrange the sling so it goes to the front mount from the left side. When you carry your rifle, put your right arm and head through the sling so it will hang muzzle down pointing a bit to your left. This will let you get your carbine into firing position quickly. Here's a link to a video that will show you what I mean
ARPPQ.mp4 Video by SgtSongDog | Photobucket

If you are left handed, adjust the sling accordingly

3) Add a weapon light. If you're using your carbine for house defense, you need to be able to identify your target. You don't just turn the light on and leave it on any more that you shoot your rifle at every you point it at. Learn to use the light effectively and it will become a force multiplier

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the advise MistWolf. I had my sling through the slot in the stock. I put it on as you see it to see how it feels this way. Your video shows you using the sling the same way I have learned to use it. One thing nice on the Magpul slings is you can pull a loop that is easily accessible to loosen or tighten it right as you wear it that way.

I will eventually upgrade the trigger and until then I definitely do my best to keep the trigger and FCG as smooth as I can by cleaning and lubing.

I will put a streamlight TLR-1 HL on the forensic/hand guard. I like the activation switch on these lights for momentary, constant on and strobe. They also put out 630 lumens of blinding light. If you see the way I have it set on my shotgun in the photo, I'm going to do it exactly the same way. That is one of the reasons why I added the Magpul carbine length hand guard. The light goes on a cantilever rail and is situated on the hand guard right in front of where my thumb rests while firing the M&P-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also put a Magpul angled foregrip on the hand guard as I did on my shotgun. But I took it off because I felt it too heavy and I did not like the feel on the carbine. Now, the angled foregrip is great and aids in racking the forend on a pump shotgun such as mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts