Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Used dryer sheet in my case, but I didn't throw one in on the messed up batch. Heading out of town tomorrow some time and plan to pick up new media at the gun shop
Hey Jonesy,

Does this mean...............that you are not sending that old, dirty .38 brass...................to me? :D

I've been using Lizard Bedding for media...50# for about $6!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Jonesy,

Does this mean...............that you are not sending that old, dirty .38 brass...................to me? :D

I've been using Lizard Bedding for media...50# for about $6!

Later, Mark
Heck Mark, probably more 38 special brass than that has rolled on up under your reloading bench

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Jonesy, try some of the walnut lizard bedding from the pet store and a teaspoon of turbo brite Polish. Run the range brass separate and throw away the media when you're done.
cliff

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
U
Ive tried tumbling with pins but have a terrible time separating the pins from the brass when done. Is there a secret inhaben’t heard?
I do it with the brass under water in a large bowl. Point the case mouths down and the pins sink to the bottom. Sometimes with small bottleneck cases it takes a shake or two. Pour out most of the water and use the transfer magnet made by Frankford Arsenal.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
U
Ive tried tumbling with pins but have a terrible time separating the pins from the brass when done. Is there a secret inhaben’t heard?
I've used something similar to this one in the link since starting down the pin cleaning method, several years ago. Once you've separated the pins from the brass, I visually inspect the primer pocket hole because sometimes, especially with newer pins, they'll get lodged in the hole. A smaller than primer pocket sized punch will dislodge the pins rather easily. In the google search, I had to use the words "Rotary Media Separator" to find an example.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-cleaning/case-tumblers-accessories/rotary-media-separator-sku100029276-122005-210819.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-100-029-276&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-029-276

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
U
I kept my old RCBS Media separator that I used with dry media. What I di is I take 2 5 gallon buckets and fill them with clean water (I use rainwater because our water has a lot of calcium in it). Anyway, I dump the contents of the Frankfort tumbler in the RCBS media separator, close the basket and the lid and spin it one way a couple times and the other way a couple times and all the pins fall into the bottom or 99% of them. Then I take the basket and empty it into the first bucket ans swish them around a bit and then transfer the brass to the second bucket and swish again. By that time, any pins that are left are in one of the two buckets. The they go on cookie sheets to dry in the sun ot on my wife's oven at the lowest setting (175 degrees). Once in a while I'll get a pin crossways in the neck of a 308 case but not often and I've never had and lodge in a primer pocket.

I use a Frankfort Arsenal on-off magnet to pull the pins from the RCBS media separator and the buckets (if any) and put them back in the tumbler drum. By that time they are pretty clean anyway and I leave them in the drum (with the lid off) until next time.

I use a dash of Dawn dishwash detergent and a dash of Lemishine. Just a little bit.

I also went on Flea Bay and bought some jewelers mix which are little balls and cone shaped things in stainless that I added to the pins. My pockets and flash holes get squeaky clean as does the inside of the cases. It's a bit tedious but worth the time because I always do a large quantity. One word of caution though, like with dry media, you cannot run different calibers together because the cases will nest. Not really an issue with bottlenecks but with straightwall cases can be an issue.

And for the wash in the tumbler, I use hot water from the tap. Just rinse in rainwater. I happen to have 2 350 gallon IBC totes plumbed into my rain gutters on the shop. I use rainwater for equipment washdown.

How I do it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use Lemishine & Dawn also when wet tumbling, I was experiencing the same problem youre having.

I found out that the amount of Lemishine I was using was too much....

My brass was coming out shining like new, but was tarnishing badly within hours of drying.

I cut back the amount of Lemishine to about one teaspoon per load & now the tarnishing is minimal.

Any uncoated brass exposed to the elements will tarnish.

If you want to keep it brand new bright & shiney you will have to put some type of polishing compound or coating on the brass.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hey Jonesy,

These fellers is steering ya all wrong! :D

Yer .38 Special Brass is telling ya sumpin! Ya wanna send it all here! :D

I have been using Lizard Bedding, for tumbling media.... about the last ten years. I cut up a Scotch Brite Pad, and put in a dryer sheet...when I tumble. The Dryer Sheet (torn in half) seems to take most of the dirt from the brass.

Next, I'm going to try some BUCKWHEAT.

Later, Mark
Lizard bedding and dryer sheets!?

Harry Potter/Hogwarts brass cleaning school?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sent my cob tumbler to the Welshman a while ago. I'd say if you are set of cob, it's time to change it.

If you ever go to STS, you will need to decap before tumbling.
Another big advantage of this approach is your press will stay MUCH cleaner. I disassembled my 650 and cleaned it, it was filthy. I'm hoping with pre-decapping now, it will stay clean and smooth.

·
Premium Member
9,975 Posts
The 20 pound bags of reptile bedding (intended for snakes, lizards and other reptiles) is coarse ground walnut shells, exactly the same thing sold by gun shops as walnut polishing media. The difference is the quantity and lower price. I've had a bag for years, and it's only been tapped a few times.

The dryer sheets will gather up dust from the media so that you can throw it away after a cleaning. This extends the life of walnut media.

The magic comes with the words you say when turning on the tumbler's switch. They're secret words, and you have to know the sign before I'll speak them. (Hint - think bright and shiny).

Ok... twist my arm: "clara et crus".....

Before I tumble brass, I separate, inspect and wash it with dish detergent in the sink. After thorough rinsing, I dry it. Only then do I put it into the tumbler with a little polish. Make sure the polish doesn't have ammonia in it. That chemical reduces brass.

I clean several thousand range brass pickups this way, and have good results.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts