Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited this gun from my grandfather. He lived in Arizona for quite some time. SN is 503666 here are some pics....let me know if anyone has any idea
thanks!
20120808_190917.jpg 20120808_190942.jpg 20120808_191009.jpg

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
You have a 1927-28 period Military & Police, Model 1905, 4th Change. The "treatment" it got is endemic to the Southwest region and goes by several names. I have read that it was ascribed to local artisans often in the employ of pawnshops.

Now the other me. You have a priceless heirloom that has been placed temporarily in your custody to be preserved, protected and passed on within your family. It is representative of the time and region in which Grandpa acquired it.

I am sure one of our Westerners will enlighten us both.

Meanwhile welcome to the forum.

Waidmann

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Did your Grandfather live in the Phoenix area? I can't tell by the pictures but that looks like one of the Mexican engraving jobs done in the back of a certain pawn shop on the east side. 20+ years ago the outfit was known for economical engraving, cheap gunsmithing & occaisional shady deals.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello
I once had a "Taco-Special" as I called it. I was in a local gun shop one day when an Older Guy brought this and another small caliber Semi-auto pistol in. He told the store clerk that his Father once lived in Mexico and gave him these two guns. I bought the "Taco-Special" right after he left the shop. This gun started life as a World War II Victory model before it was re-blued and engraved. It is shown with the highly detailed sterling silver stocks on it as well... Oh-Lay....

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Hammerdown, that's better than the "average Taco!" I remember in the early 60's when you could pick up nice boot-leg Mexican coin silver grips such as yours in Mexico for a song. As I recall, they usually had them for either a K frame or a 1911. Today they ask very high prices for such grips. Nice piece.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hammerdown, that's better than the "average Taco!" I remember in the early 60's when you could pick up nice boot-leg Mexican coin silver grips such as yours in Mexico for a song. As I recall, they usually had them for either a K frame or a 1911. Today they ask very high prices for such grips. Nice piece.
Hello Grasshopper Here is the grip's off my "Taco-Special" I was told they cary some significance to a higher Mexican authority figure. They were Gaudy to me, but they fit the Theme of the gun Just fine. I swapped it off for a S&W Model 25-5 chambered in .45 Colt. I Liked it, but not as much as I do the Model 25-5. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Awesome Taco Special, one to be proud the "ride the river" with.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

·
Registered
19,831 Posts
HD, Those grips are alittle over the top for me. Just slap on some smooth Presentation Grips, and I'd be mighty proud to own that revolver. It is truly a masterpiece! But....I'd be icthing to shoot it! Talk about a BBQ gun!!!!! Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts