Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I roll my own range ammo but I dont roll my SD ammo. I went from carrying 125gr .357 to 158 gr because I felt the 158's gave me more push than snap.

Last weekend I decided to revisit my decision and brought some Federal 125gr and some Remington 158gr htp. Both SJHP. I didnt really feel any reduction in recoil between the different bullet weights although I have read that 125gr should recoil less but I did notice that the 125 Was a flash bang. Man what a blast and what noise.

So if you are buying your SD for .357 .. what are you buying. Is the heavy flash just a Federal thing? I have some Remington HTP in 125gr and will try it next time.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
My 66-4 is loaded with 145 gr. Winchester Silvertip HP's. Reviews are good and it's accurate in the 66.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Since most 38s and 357 were originally made to shoot 158s, that what I would use when not using my 9mm. 158JHPs are very accurate in my 66 and 19

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
As with delcrossv, I use Silvertips for .357's and .38 Special's (non +P in .38's). I recently acquired some low flash/low recoil stuff for my snub J's but haven't played with it. In that caliber I mostly kill tin cans with lead SWC's and infrequently shoot the SD loads.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Speer Gold Dot 125 gr in the summertime. Underwood Hornady 158 gr XTP’s in the winter. Hank PS- I carry a .357Mag every, for what that’s worth. PS- Speer makes a 135 gr hp short barrel load that’s excellent. My carry load now in the summer.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,698 Posts
Since I carry a .357 magnum revolver most often in the boonies, I carry Hornady 140 grain FTX LEVERevolution with a much flatter trajectory for longer distance shots.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Always Federal 125 Grain SJHps. I have read it is the most effective one shot stop load in existence. My M340PD is loaded with 'em. I'm right handed but carry it in my left pants pocket. This gun weighs 11 ounces. It hurts BAD to shoot, but I bet it hurts a lot worse on the other side.:eek:
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
For town it's Remington 125gr SJHPs, on the property it's handloaded 158gr Nosler or Winchester JHPs. There are a number of Remington 140gr SJHPs in inventory, they are very devastating when loaded in the 1500s. Also, depending on sign, 180gr WFNs for very deep penetration through bone and soft tissue.

I love shooting the mag and it's my favorite wheelgun to load for and powder/bullet choices make it one the most versatile calibers to carry, IMO.

·
Registered
203 Posts
In my 3" 19 K-Comp, I'm carrying Buffalo Bore 140gr low flash/low recoil. True 1250fps out of a 3" barrel, and solid copper bullet, so no deformation from repeated loading/unloading or pocket carry of speed strips or loaders. This load is not overly unpleasant to shoot, and accurate.

I have a bunch of Remington full-pop 125gr JHPs that are quite unpleasant in the 19, but aren't too bad in my 3 1/2" M27, so that's what it's currently fed.

One of the best loads I've ever tried for factory stuff was the Winchester Black Talon 180gr .357. Of course, it's no longer made, but it was pleasant to shoot, expanded reliably and was accurate. I still have ~24 rounds left, but they're more of a curiosity at this point.

·
Registered
151 Posts
After reading the lab results on luckygunner.com I have mainly carried Remington Golden Saber 38 Special +P in my .357 Carry Guns. The results were a little eye opening for me especially with 2" guns. A lot of rounds did ok and some did very well, but with all the new ammo that's being developed, you can carry 38+P and get about the same results out of a snub as a full bore .357 Load with a lot less recoil and flash. I also like the new Federal HST but being a flush seated bullet, reloads would be slower. With that being said, my advice is to carry what you shoot the best. First shot and follow ups as well. A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a 44 Mag. I've seen so many people at the range who carry a caliber or load that is way too powerful for them to handle. The first shot is most of the time ok, but follow up shots are all over the place and I'd guess at least half of the people I've watched and tried to help would miss entire silhouette at 10 yards with their follow up shots if they were on the clock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I roll my own range ammo but I dont roll my SD ammo. I went from carrying 125gr .357 to 158 gr because I felt the 158's gave me more push than snap.

Last weekend I decided to revisit my decision and brought some Federal 125gr and some Remington 158gr htp. Both SJHP. I didnt really feel any reduction in recoil between the different bullet weights although I have read that 125gr should recoil less but I did notice that the 125 Was a flash bang. Man what a blast and what noise.

So if you are buying your SD for .357 .. what are you buying. Is the heavy flash just a Federal thing? I have some Remington HTP in 125gr and will try it next time.
158 gr LSWC

Enviado desde mi motorola one vision mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Remington 125 grain HD Ultimate Defense ammunition in my S&W model 340SC. Remington lists the velocity at 1220 fps.Good ammunition. Low flash and recoil is manageable. Midway USA stocks this ammunition.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I buy either Underwood or Hornady 158 gr JHP-XTP. I also buy the XTP bullet to reload in 357. XTPs cannot be trusted to expand well at 38 velocities but they work well in 357's at 1250 fps or so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts