Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
I seem to be the only one here who can kill bambi and I use a Savage M99 in .250 no pictures of it since it goes back and forth between me and my brother. Kenneth is more a hog hunter and he prefers:

Marlin in .45-70.

·
Registered
26,140 Posts
Birds, mostly quail, so a light 20 gauge

Reactions: bruce and Mjh

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
For birds a 12 ga Rossi SxS IC/Mod. Use it for clays too.
No rifle hunting for deer in IL so I have a 64# Groves recurve for that. Fell out of practice since the last round of wasting disease here. Considering using one of the handguns, which is allowed.

Reactions: bruce

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I deer hunt for all of our 4 1/2 month season. I use a variety of rifles. Bolt guns/lever guns/semi auto's. Yesterday's buck fell to a Win. mdl 70 in 280 rem caliber. 174 lb 8 pt.
In the past, for 30 years or so I ran deer with a pack of hounds. Then it was 12 guages with 00/0/#1 buckshot.

I've even (sadly & costly) killed them with my Chevy trucks.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Squirrls , Whistle Pigs , Racoons , Possums and such with a scoped 10/22. Deer and all larger critters witha variety...30-30 , 45-70 , 12 ga. , 629 Revolver , 686 Revolver...just depends on where and what I seek. My favorites are the 30-30 Winchester I got for my 11th birthday and my Browning 1886 45-70 & a 1895 SS Marlin 45-70. I have not hunted in several yrs. due to health issues but...I'm on a restricted diet and lossing weight so I can get back out there.

·
Registered
19,399 Posts
I mainly hunt whitetail deer with a rifle, and handgun as a backup.

300BLK is my primary rifle choice.

I have a feeling that you'll be kissing that goodbye in 2021. I sure as hell don't consider that a sporting firearm either.. Might work for close in distances but past 200 yards (which is where I usually shoot at), that is useless. One, the tube is way too short for accurate shot placement and two, holds too many rounds. Hunting for me and my hunting partners is all about one shot, one kill, not a semi auto with a multiple magazine with multiple boolets.

I hunt big game, Elk, Mule Deer and occasionally Antelope with my Pierce Built 308 or my 338 (in the case of Antelope because the shot placement is critical and Antelope, Elk and Mule deer will be at a distance most times of well over 250 yards. My 308 is extremely accurate to 500 yards (shots sub MOA at 250) as well as my 338 Lapua (shoots sub MOA at 500 yards).

I hunt for meat and mounts on the wall....lol, plus it's a good reason to see the country and hunt with the group I hunt with, hopefully, that will return. Just not this year.

We own property in Northern Michigan that is loaded with Whitetails. I tend to hunt with my 460 XVR there or my 44 RM because the shot distance is much closer, a long shot up there (because it's forested) is 150 yards maximum but most shots will be less than 100 yards.

Barrel length is of paramount importance to me. Shorter barrels don't stabilize a bullet in flight and don't provide the necessary velocity either. I want my bullets travelling close to 3000 fps as I can get.

Just my take on what and how I hunt and I do hunt song dogs around here. I use a 22-250 with an ATN night vision scope and hunt at night.

No black guns here, never will be any. I prefer real 'sporting rifles'. Just my personal opinion and how I roll.

Right now, the freezer has Elk, bear and Mule deer in it.

Reactions: Shield45shooter

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Whitetail deer mostly are what I try for. Start with a crossbow (shoulder will not let me draw enough weight with my bow), then move to a Remington inline muzzleloader for the week in season and then one of my .270's ( Remington mountain version ) or my Ruger International. In past years, I have used a .308, .300 Weatherby and a 7 mag. My S&W 29C is usually on my hip and used if I manage to get within about 40 yards. Hogs have always been with the .270 or .44, but fortunately, none are on the property I have now. Squirrels are always with a .22.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
If it walks or crawls in the southeastern United States, I've shot it. Mostly I now hunt deer and hogs. Seldom get to go small game hunting. Last time I went, I carried my beloved Ruger 77/22. That thing has been bang on the target accurate since my wife bought it for me the first year it hit the market. For deer and hogs, I use a nice Remington 1903-A4 replica that I had made by Chuck in Denver. I love military surplus rifles. My days of iron sight hunting are now about over. This 04 replica lets me continue to use these types of rifles for the hunting which I enjoy. I recently was able to find a UltiMAK mount for my M-1 Garand. It mounts a intermediate eye relief scope on the barrel replacing the middle hand guard. I anticipate this will allow me to use my M-1 for hunting next year. Looking forward to it. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Super Moderator
19,902 Posts
I mainly hunt whitetail deer with a rifle, and handgun as a backup.

300BLK is my primary rifle choice.

Curious, how long did you wait for your tax stamp on this one?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts