Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,846 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! You're going to have to give us more information. I'm not familiar enough with S&W semi-autos that I can figure out even what caliber it is, much less what model. Perhaps another member has more expertise and will be along. However, you can help the expert along by posting more pictures and information.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
The model and serial number should appear just above the trigger guard. It's unreadable in the photo. It could be a 147A or similar.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I do believe that's a model 39.
I was thinking 59 at first. But, the model number area looked odd in the dark photo and made me think of the overstamping that made the 147A. looking at an enhanced close-up in Photoshop, it looks like the entire model and serial numbers were hidden digitally. So, I'll leave it to the experts.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Agree with Hawg. Looks like a model 39 in 9mm. Nice pistols but not rare unless it is one of the all steel models.
It does appear to have a adjustable rear sight which was not standard. If a 39-2 it will have a single stack magazine.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Smith And Wesson model 39 9mm Depending on the serial number my be all steel but most were alloy frames and steel slides. 9 shot single stack magazines

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a 39-2 you are correct. I can't figure out when it was made though. Serial# starts with an A. I can tell you it's the loudest 9mm I've ever shot. It's really obnoxious.

·
Premium Member
21,846 Posts
Post the serial number and someone may be able to nail down a production date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks well maintained with some honest use...nice!
I thought I knew all my dad's guns but after he passed away I found this in his stuff and I have no idea where it came from how old it was or anything. I took it out and put about 100 rounds through it recently and it's the loudest damn 9mm I've ever shot. It scares people. It's very accurate though.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Fee,

Keep digging...yesterday, I was looking for something else, opened up a large box I hadn't opened in years and found a huge cache of ammo I'd forgotten I stashed away.

This ammo is still as good as the day I bought it - how do I know?

I shot some. Works quite well.

I've also forgotten about 2 long guns I have, well not completely, but for all practical purposes.

A 20 gauge shotgun and a .17 cal I used to shoot all the time, but one day, kinda lost interest and put them away.

When I croak, my wife will be hauling out all sorts of stuff she didn't know I had...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts