Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Am new to the forum. I saw Forrester's post and thought I might find some help figuring what it is I have inherited in the S&W part of a friend's collection. Are any of these collectables or particularly valuable? Looks like all have been shot sparingly, perhaps once or twice and three are in the original boxes. Which one(s) would you keep?

Here are the particulars from left to right;

Holstered 357 Mag SN K489XXX Mod 19-2 4"
22 Long SN K844XXX Mod17-3 6"
357 Patrolman SN S331XXX Mod 100 28-2 4"
38 Special SN K666XXX Mod 15-2 4"
22 Long SN K904XXX Mod 18-3 4"

20210430_103201.jpg

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Nothing uber collectible but they are all desirable. The Highway Patrolman is a Model 28-2 ( not a model 100) and the only N Frame of the bunch. These are climbing rapidly in value especially the early S prefix serial numbers. The other 4 are K Frame revolvers and all are fan favorites. The Model 18 is definitely a keeper but honestly they all are. All five are in the $750 to $900 or more range in value each depending on location and selling venue. The Model 28-2 is from 1969, the 19-2 is 1962, the 17-3 is from 1968, the 15-2 is from 1966, and the 18-3 is 1969.

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
I count 5, Shaun. :)

Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The 3 guns on the left, top and right have non-S&W grips. If you don't have the original grips, that deducts from value. Otherwise, I believe series guy's valuations are spot on.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Guy is correct about the non original stocks being a bit of a ding on the value. On their own however the left set are Fuzzy Farrant stocks which bring a nice dollar on the usual auction site and the other two are Herrett's which are bringing a nice price currently. Of course this means that original S&W stocks bring a very healthy price so replacing your existing wood is going to set you back a bit should you choose to go that route.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guy is correct about the non original stocks being a bit of a ding on the value. On their own however the left set are Fuzzy Farrant stocks which bring a nice dollar on the usual auction site and the other two are Herrett's which are bringing a nice price currently. Of course this means that original S&W stocks bring a very healthy price so replacing your existing wood is going to set you back a bit should you choose to go that route.
Well thank you all for the guidance. I feel like I am at the antiques road show! What's with the Magnum Registry i am reading about? Does it extend to this vintage?

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Well thank you all for the guidance. I feel like I am at the antiques road show! What's with the Magnum Registry i am reading about? Does it extend to this vintage?
No, the registered magnum era began in 1935 and was done by 1939. It did continue with less options and without the registration number as The 357 Magnum, and later became the model 27

·
Registered
248 Posts
Short answer (from the other S&W forum):
The first 5000 or so .357s made by S & W starting in 1935 were built to customer specifications, with any barrel length between 3.5 and 8.75" in 0.25" increments, with a choice of sights and stocks. The factory offered the owner the option of sending in a postcard that would register the gun to the owner, and these guns were stamped "REG ####". These guns are called Registered Magnums even without the certificate. The factory paper certificates mailed back are rare and highly sought after.

The factory stopped the registration process but made about 2000 more identical guns (minus the REG stamping) up to the beginning of WW II; these are called the "non-registered" guns. Both categories refer to pre-WW II guns.
A long and detailed history of the development of the S&W .357 Magnum, along with an image of the order form for the .357 Registered Magnum and one of the registration certificate: Smith & Wesson's Registered .357 Magnum Revolver

·
Registered
26,486 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice set of revolvers indeed. Anyone would like to have those examples as part of their collection. Hope you take them out for regular exercise and enjoy them. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
19,660 Posts
All those are very nice Smith handguns even without the original stocks. I would definite go shoot them all several times and decide if any should go after that. They are all desirable and are great shooters. Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
34,225 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That is a fine looking collection of Smiths!

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Hey Buff,

Welcome to S&W!

Wow! You sure know how to JOIN!

Great Looking REVOLVERS!

Every one is a KEEPER!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congrats on your “new to you “ revolvers. The aftermarket grips are by quality makers. Nothing to get in a big sweat about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts