Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m thinking of picking up an old blued Model 10-6 with a 4 inch barrel and wouldn’t mind putting it in the correct box, but which box is it? I look for boxes and I see silver boxes, blue boxes, gray boxes, black boxes, gold boxes, green boxes, brown boxes, red boxes, and I’m probably missing a few, which one is correct for the Model 10-6?

What should be in an original box?

Does anyone have a picture?

Are there any known good sources, or is ebay it?

How much does having a box and paperwork boost the value? Not that I’d be looking to sell right away but it would be nice to know.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Pretty sure a silver box is for nickel. As far as value, having THE box the gun came in can increase value a lot more than having A box some other gun came in. Also, the 10-6 was produced for 15 years and there were changes in the box design over the years. basically all blue boxes are not the same. The wording can vary as well as the border, so a 10-6 produced in 1963 doesn't have the exact same box as a 10-6 made in 1977

·
Registered
22,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As stated^^^^^^^^^^The box (the one that came with the revolver) does add value to the revolver overall. You could check eBay or even GunBroker for a possible replacement. Good luck and keep us up to date.:)

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Are there any known good sources, or is ebay it?

How much does having a box and paperwork boost the value?
For boxes alone, ebay IS it, although if you happened to find one on Gun Broker, it would probably sell cheap--which is why most sellers list on ebay.

As has already been said, & especially with the blue boxes, the box needs to have the ser. no. of the original gun written or stamped on it to make any significant price difference. Different story with respect to pre-war or scarce-model boxes, such as this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMITH-WESSON-GOLD-BOX-38-44-OUTDOORSMAN-REVOLVER-6-1-2-INCH-BLUE-FINISH-BOX/163901293861?hash=item2629474525:g:TaUAAOSwZYFdaIEJ

The red boxes, at least for popular models, can bring shocking prices--twice I bid about $200 for red Outdoorsman boxes, & got left in the dust. Within the last year, one sold for $500+! And these were of course boxes with ser. nos. on them that wouldn't match whatever gun the buyers were presumably planning to put in them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure a silver box is for nickel. As far as value, having THE box the gun came in can increase value a lot more than having A box some other gun came in. Also, the 10-6 was produced for 15 years and there were changes in the box design over the years. basically all blue boxes are not the same. The wording can vary as well as the border, so a 10-6 produced in 1963 doesn't have the exact same box as a 10-6 made in 1977
Is there a date range when the changes occurred?

Curt360 said:
Welcome to the forum! As stated^^^^^^^^^^The box (the one that came with the revolver) does add value to the revolver overall. You could check eBay or even GunBroker for a possible replacement. Good luck and keep us up to date.
Thanks. :) I know it probably won’t add much to the value with the wrong serial, but it would be neat if I could get the “right” box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I contacted Smith and Wesson directly, for my particular model 10-6 (1978) they said the appropriate box would be the blue one with “A Bangor Punta Company” between Smith and Wesson and Springfield Massachusetts.

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts