Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time my buddy was over we were comparing 642's Mine is fairly newly purchased and his is at least a decade old. His says 38 only and mine has 38+p inscribed on the gun. We looked and there were subtle places where extra material was added to the frame.

So it got me thinking .. what specific changes were made and where to the K frame to make the more robust L?
Just curious
Alex

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Curt360 has a 2.5 inch m66, I have a 2.5inch 686. One day I broke out the calipers to see what the difference was. I don't remember the numbers exactly but the 2 frames were the about same thickness. There may have been a thoundth or 2 difference. Top strap was again, just about the same on the 2. The big difference was in how tall the frames are, which makes sense since the L frame allows for a full forcing cone without the flat spot on the bottom

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The axis between the ejector rod and the bore is larger. This makes the cylinder a bit larger in diameter but most importantly the bottom of the barrel doesn't need relieved for the yoke so .357 rounds are not as punishing on the forcing cone and frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts