Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I just recently purchased my 9mm M&Pam Shield, and have just recently crossed that first threshold of firing it. I went to a range by myself with no more knowledge than a child and I let them know I was scared to death. They sent a lady on their staff out with me for the first 2 clips I ever shot from a hand gun. I am a shotgun girl, but hadn't even shot that in years! I never took any trainings or safe gun handling courses, but now feel like I am ready to do it.
I have read the feed on the subject of self defense ammo and what is better for the type of firearm I have. I understand that one should try different ones to see which they prefer, but where do I start? All I know is what I was told when purchasing the handgun, and that is I need to use hollow points for self defense. Can someone please lead a lady in the right direction? Ammo can be expensive, and I don't want to be trying something that my gun doesn't like, and possibly mess something up, lol, if that's even possible. Going for CCW this weekend (YAAAAAAY!), but would love it if someone can give me some advice.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Good for You young lady! I think the guys at the CCW course can help figure the right ammo to use. I practice with 124 grain 9mm Full metal jacket round nose bullets. You can try 124 & 147 grain ammo later. I would just concentrate on learning your gun and how to shoot. You can and will figure out what ammo your Shield likes. They shoot all 9mm ammo well. Once you get to know your pistol you'll get it figured out. Good Luck & Good Shooting!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome aboard! Shield 9 eh? Nice!! Good advise by FlaRon. I like how the Hornady Critical Defense 124 round penetrates
before expanding. Good to get through heavy winter clothing. Hope you only have to use it on "paper!"
Ed
I have a smith & Wesson m&p shield 9mm, and bought some federal premium ammunition for it 9mm Luger +p 124 grain. Will I be ok to use this ammo or will it mess my gun up? I’ve read a bunch of different things about +p ammo and +p+

·
Premium Member
10,248 Posts
If the manual says you can use +P is should work. It will wear more, and you won't enjoy shooting it or controlling the recoil.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/sites/default/files/owners-manuals/M&P_Shield_All_Cals_06-01-16.pdf

See page 11 and keep a copy.

I personally don't use it except in personal defense, and then I train extensively with it to control recoil and followup.

If you've never had formal training, consider a NRA Basic Pistol class for anyone that is going to have access to this pistol.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've pretty much standardized on the 124 gr. for target and 147 gr. for self defense. For SD, I reload a Hornady 147 gr. XTP over HS-6 that motors along at a little over 1,000 fps. I figure that's a pretty good bullet for stopping 2 legged predators.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts