Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought an M&P Shield in 9mm. I believe it has a 3.1" barrel.

What bullet weight is recommended to use in these smaller pistols? 115, 124, or 147 grain?

If the pistol doesn't care, what kind of differences will the shooter see/feel with the different bullet weights?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
The only way you are going to find out the answers to your questions is to invest in a box of each bullet weight ammo in standard velocity and shoot it for yourself.

See how each weight prints on target. See how each feels in recoil. Throw in some +p rounds if you wish though in my opinion they are not needed if you use a good hollowpoint defense load and there are many of them.

My personal choice is the Gold Dot 124 gr. however there are so many others out there and I am sure you will get diverse answers to your questions from fellow forum members.

Welcome aboard the forum on your first post.

Regards,

FlaRon weiweinp

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an M&P9 Shield. For practice and range use I use the standard 115gr ball. I've run Blazer Brass, Winchester White Box, Federal American Eagle, Federal White Box(Range&Target), Herter's Select Brass, and Speer Lawman, as well as my own handloads(115gr Berry's plated HBRN over 5.1 gr of Alliant Power Pistol). It all ran flawlessly through mine. Also Winchester's 124gr NATO loading is a very good performer, very stout recoil and accurate.

For carry purposes I have Federal Law Enforcement 147gr HST's-P9HST2). Very accurate bullet out of the short barrel. The box says 1000fps at the muzzle, but that's generally out of a 4" or 5" barrel. Based on what I've seen first hand in my own tests, it's a great choice.

Buy a few boxes and see what your gun and wallet like.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone

·
Registered
747 Posts
Welcome aboard! Shield 9 eh? Nice!! Good advise by FlaRon. I like how the Hornady Critical Defense 124 round penetrates
before expanding. Good to get through heavy winter clothing. Hope you only have to use it on "paper!"
Ed

·
Registered
12,024 Posts
The shield will run anything you put in it without a problem. I have used winchester white box 100ct, federal bulk, blazer aluminum casing, blazer brass, and remington UMC all 115gr, some winchester 147gr hollow point, Remington 115gr hollowpoint and for a personal protection round Winchester PDX1 defender hollowpoint 124gr +P. No jams, misfeeds or any other problems with any of it. They all feel about the same, except the +P, which has a bit more recoil. So far I have run 500 rounds through mine. Load up and have fun!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 124/125gr bullet in the 9mm. My son carries a Shield and like above he likes 124gr Speer Gold Dot HP ammo. I have found the heavier bullets don't "snap" as much as the ammo with lighter bullets.

Welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
nugfaong and welcome01

You've been getting sound advice from everyone.
I don't have a Shield, but I do have an M&P compact...same gun just thinner.
I shoot 115gr FMJ for practice and targets, even IDPA matches.
I carry 124gr +p for defensive purposes, either Gold Dot or Win Ranger T's

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I have another brand with a 3" barrlel. Talking factory ammo, imo ... 115: least expensive practice round, will probably shoot a little lower, but snap more (recoil). 147: Tends to print a bit higher & recoil seems to be more of a rearward push. 147 is supposedly the best penetration in gel tests. 124: seems just right. again jmho

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your speedy replies! Good answers!

spud_308, that answers a concern I have had:
I've shot nothing but 115 Federal white box out of it, and it shoots nearly half a foot low at 25 feet.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Jup: That's a toughy, I don't like a gun that shoots low. Are you holding the front sight at the top, center or bottom of the black dot (10 ring)? Try a box of 124gr., before you try anything else The front sight on Shields seems a bit high to me. With 3 dot, you'll have to drop that front sight when aiming or aim top of the 7 ring. You should be able to put the dot where you want the round to go.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jup: That's a toughy, I don't like a gun that shoots low. Are you holding the front sight
at the top, center or bottom of the black dot (10 ring)? Try a box of 124gr., before you try anything else The front
sight on Shields seems a bit high to me. With 3 dot, you'll have to drop that front sight when aiming or aim top of the 7 ring. You should be able to put the dot where you want the round to go.
This might help also. Stay with the ammo your using. Bench shot to a bullseye, 21ft. Eye picture align sights
to center of bull. Take as much of the "human" element out of it as possible. Where did it shoot? Use a different
weight ammo. Go thru the same process for three or four samples of ammo you plan on shooting. Which did
it shoot best with on the bench? If you liked the results, now adjust sights to hit center of bull with that ammo,
shoot again. When sights are adjusted to best shot on tatget off bench, your home. If you know the gun shoots
STRAIGHT.................the rest is on you.
Its like dealing with a stubborn rifle. You have to go through the steps to get to the bottom of what is IT doing.
Good luck............hey post some bulls.:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the 3 dots lined up horizontally.

Just recently shot some reloaded 124 grain through it, and it shot much closer to center.

It also seems to move up as the gun heats up, after shooting a couple of rounds through it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For duty/carry purposes I'd stay away from the lighter bullets. On the street, they simply penetrate less and may not "get the job done."

Good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy folks
Just bought some laser cast 147 grain 9mm and need some good loads for this bullit. all I have is unique powder. I need the OAL also with any loads, will be using my M&P shield. Thank You everyone for your help. Good group, no other place to turn sometimes.
Norm

·
Registered
303 Posts
welcome01 From SC!
I agree with Flaron on this as well....Great advice...I like the 124 jhps and for practice just about any 115 fmj will do. I load the the 115 and 124 hps exclusively. I have also had very good results with the Speer Lawman line and the Federals. But as a matter of pride I really like my own tailored ammo. Have fun and be accurate!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based on ballistic testing of 9mm standard rounds, American Federal HST 124 and 149 grain ammo penetrates and expands in the "perfect" range in ballistic gel testing, both in bare gel and the heavy denim and gel combination. If you can find this stuff, put it in your Shield. If you can't find it, the next best thing would be the Hornady Critical Defense rounds in 124 grain. They performed very similarly, however the expansion was slightly less than the HST and the expansion fragmented slightly, causing a loss in mass. This was very very minimal however.

Any of these three would be perfect for self defense. I see a lot of people using +p rounds in their Shield. The manual for the weapon does not recommend using +p rounds as it will eventually cause failures in the operation of your firearm.

Go with the HST or Critical defense in the grain you feel most comfortable shooting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0

·
Registered
12,024 Posts
I run 124 grain Plus P Winchester PDX1 Defenders in my 9mm Shield. Though the manual cautions that plus P ammo will shorten the life span of some of the guns components, the reality is that just firing a gun at all will shorten the life span of its parts. It gets about 2 magazines a year of the Plus P fired through it, and the rest is 124gr ball ammo at standard pressures. I found that my shield hits at my aim point if I use 124gr ammo. I was always shooting low with 115gr Winchester or Federal from walmart. Since I started reloading last year I have stuck to 124 and 147gr bullets for 9mm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed. My shield 9mm will fire anything with no problems. Keep it clean and lubed, have tried Magtech I was given, Fiocchi and white box Winchester. Also the PDX1 and it all has been awesome. Even some local reloads for practice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts