Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped a money order in the mail enroute to the CMP for 960 rds of the Greek hxp 30.06 in order to feed my US military rifles. Last week I said " I'll take it " for a couple of SA battle packs of 7.62x51 for my MBR'S. Last month I got real lucky and was able to obtain 500 rds of Greek HXP .303 on stripper clips to feed my 4 hungry Enfields children. I had always been a day late or a dollar short during my search for this ammo but this time the stars and planets were in the proper alignment and the Gods smiled down on my humble self and the deal was done. In addition, I have purchased several hundred rds of various .9mm, .40mm and .45 ammo from various chain stores. Wow, my bank account is starting to dry up and I passed on a couple of gun deals that I would of went after last year due to buying ammo. Finally after years of considering myself to be just a shooter, I can finally see one the advantages of being a collector. No ammo to buy, more money for guns! Gotta run for now..still have to track down some .556/223 , and some .30 carbine, and a couple of boxes of 41 MAG. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I troll the Wal-marts in my area for Winchester white box 100 round value pacs of .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9mm, Remington .38+P and UMC .223. Last Saturday I checked and was told they'd have a case of .45 on the shelf at 8:00 AM Sunday morning. Guess who skipped church (to my wife's dismay) and showed up at 8:00 and bought the entire case.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hey, what prices are you paying? I want to compare prices in dif areas.

I picked up 150 rds Rem 44 mag. 240 gr Soft Point at Gander Mtn for $28/25rd boxes last week and a 100 round box of Win White 40cal FMJ for $50. A couple weeks before that I picked up 40 rds of Win Super X 210 44 mag. Silver Tip at Cabela's for $24/20rd boxes. Tuesday I picked up 100 rds Win white box 180 FMJ for $18/50rd boxes at the local Top Gun gunshop to go with the new M&P 40c.

Couldn't find the Win Super X 22 Mags I like, I usually get a couple 250rd bricks. ($28 last time)

The Rem 44 I like is very scarce, so I get what I can when I see it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well, due to the price of .28 gauge shells going crazy, I bought a couple flats of .28 gauge shells (B & P, $90/flat delivered). I also found a fair price on some Eley .22's so I just had to stock up a few bricks of that. I also got lucky and stumbled across a guy at a small gun show that had some WRA 7.62 on stripper clips for .30/rd. Got a half .50 caliber can of ammo from him.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't been looking at the 44 mag ammo prices, but there were 3 50 rds boxes of Pmc 41 mag ammo that sold over on the Colt Forum for $85 shipped which I would of jumped on in a heartbeart. Missed that sell by about 12 mins. Ya snooze ya lose. I snagged a box of .45 100 rds WW value pak for right it $35 out the door at Walmart last week. They had just received a small shipment in and I picked it up just to have in order to be able to blast without having to dig into my stash of my good .45 ammo. I've plenty of .38 to plink with as I am working on using up a case of 148 gr wadcutters. I buy that every year to shoot in matches. Hate to see what the new price is going to be when this case is gone! Should of invested in a warehouse of ammo instead of my 401k. I'd be better off now!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howdy All,
Being as it's payday and I'm off I made a run through Wally-World and bagged up some more pistol ammo. There was one guy waiting at the counter looking at a stack of 9mm Blazer Brass 115 gr that the clerk had just set out. He said I'll take 10 boxes and whipped out his credit card. I asked for the next 8 boxes while counting out the cash leaving one box behind, kinda of a karma for the next buyer ! While the clerk was making change, I noticed four boxes of Blazer Brass .45 ammo already in the display case that had been hidden from view by the stack of 9mm. Three of them left with me as well. I left one behind as a kinda of karma for the next buyer! Still no 41 mag.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Dang, how in hell do you gents afford to shoot at these prices?!? $28 for 25 rounds of .44 mag??!?! :shock: That's over a buck a shot!!!! If I had to pay that much, I wouldn't be shooting!! Thank God for reloading machines!! .44s cost me about 10-11 cents per...at least I can shoot without breaking the bank!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
John said:
toroflow said:
Dang, how in hell do you gents afford to shoot at these prices?!? $28 for 25 rounds of .44 mag??!?! :shock: That's over a buck a shot!!!! If I had to pay that much, I wouldn't be shooting!! Thank God for reloading machines!! .44s cost me about 10-11 cents per...at least I can shoot without breaking the bank!
yeah but they make nice BIG HOLES. :lol: nfiofnp
Right, a .44 is a .44, whether its 10 cents a shot, or $1.15 a shot! :shock:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ya, you did have to break that cost down, didn't ya?!

Actually I'm still shooting the Rem 240 ammo I bought at around $11-$12 a box, so I'm shootin' at about $.50 a round. Ya, I know I'm replacing with the higher stuff. I had a lot of the less expensive stuff and didn't buy for awhile and do feel the sticker shock. Hope it doesn't get any higher, soon.

I guess reloading will be in my future.

For now I'm buying as much as I can before it goes up again.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
WGlide90 said:
Ya, you did have to break that cost down, didn't ya?!

Actually I'm still shooting the Rem 240 ammo I bought at around $11-$12 a box, so I'm shootin' at about $.50 a round. Ya, I know I'm replacing with the higher stuff. I had a lot of the less expensive stuff and didn't buy for awhile and do feel the sticker shock. Hope it doesn't get any higher, soon.

I guess reloading will be in my future.

For now I'm buying as much as I can before it goes up again.
I'm just trying to push you gents into reloading! ;) By my calculations, you can shoot TEN TIMES as much as you are with store bought ammo! Think of how much better a shot you will become!!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Reloading is a curse and will become an obsession. :|

Most folks get into reloading their own ammo to save money, but when they do, they shoot more, and more, and more - spending far more $$ than they expected to. Eventually, the quest for gadgets, geegaws, and the best progressive loading equipment sucks away any hope for savings.

Finally, they come to realize that their carefully handloaded rounds are superior to anything the factories have to offer - and refuse to fire a single round of factory fodder in any of their firearms. Concerns about specific components becoming obsolete or hard-to-get force them to stockpile and they exhaust their nest egg on reloading supplies. A nosy Anti-Gun neighbor discovers this "ammunition factory" and "explosives cache" and reports them to the "authorities". The BATF raids their home, burning it down in the process. Eventually, after several years of litigation, they are vindicated, but have nothing remaining but a house lot and a pile of ashes.

Better to stay away from reloading and remain satisfied with a few boxes of factory ammo...

xtm

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
xtimberman said:
Reloading is a curse and will become an obsession. :|

Most folks get into reloading their own ammo to save money, but when they do, they shoot more, and more, and more - spending far more $$ than they expected to. Eventually, the quest for gadgets, geegaws, and the best progressive loading equipment sucks away any hope for savings.

Finally, they come to realize that their carefully handloaded rounds are superior to anything the factories have to offer - and refuse to fire a single round of factory fodder in any of their firearms. Concerns about specific components becoming obsolete or hard-to-get force them to stockpile and they exhaust their nest egg on reloading supplies. A nosy Anti-Gun neighbor discovers this "ammunition factory" and "explosives cache" and reports them to the "authorities". The BATF raids their home, burning it down in the process. Eventually, after several years of litigation, they are vindicated, but have nothing remaining but a house lot and a pile of ashes.

Better to stay away from reloading and remain satisfied with a few boxes of factory ammo...

xtm
HA HA!! Now that is funny and made me laugh! :lol:
I am WAY TOO CHEAP to buy gadgets and "gee-gaws" for reloading. I am still loading on a vintage 1973 RCBS JR press!! Yeah a Dillon would be WAY NICE when loading hundreds of rounds of .45, but dang they are pricey!! I look at the price of a Dillon (650, only one I would have) and think: "I could buy a nice N frame or two with the amount I would have tied up in a 650". I've gone to buy a Dillon probabaly a dozen times, but don't at the very last second, instead buying yet another N frame! So, I just deal with the carpal tunnel I get from hand-loading on a single stage press! :D

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I'm talking about myself - everything except the BATF raid and fire, that is. ;)

BTW, I still use my Jr. press regularly, but I have many of the gadgets, too.

xtm

·
Registered
592 Posts
c pierce said:
longarm said:
Been buying lots of .06.
Will be taking up reloading..
When are you coming down Dan. :)
Pierce,
Figured I should try to put together a few of the parts (press, dies, etc) before I come down. Been looking .. but I think everyone else is now too. As soon as I can, as soon as I can.
Dan

·
Registered
753 Posts
I reload and I'm stocked to the gills. I sure don't need more ammo, but fear trouble down the road. So I bought 2 cases of 5.56mm and 3 bricks of 22LR in the past 6 months. In addition, 500 bullets in .429 for reloading also. The Obama factor

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
mostly pick up 9mm or .38spl when at walmart, but last month made a purchase from Midway.
.38spl:
50 magtech flat nose fmj
20 extreme shock air freedom
6 glaser safety silver
25 gold dot
50 magtech sjhp
some more that I can't remember.
pretty much the boutique stuff I can't find around here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts