Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got this old revolver.Not sure what it is, has no model under crane. It is 4" with adjustable sights, marked 38 S&W special, serial # is 3294XX. It has 3 screws on side plate, and one in front of trigger guard. Action was gummed up with old grease. I took it apart and cleaned it out, now feels smooth as silk. Took it outside and shot, seems to work fine.

Problem is when I came back inside I found a part where I had taken apart. Enclosed is picture of part. I took side plate off, but did not remove cylinder. I have taken back apart and don't see where it went either. The part is a pin .300" long and diameter is .062" one end is rounded over (solid) other end looks like roll pin. What is it? IMG_20191202_090545401[1].jpg IMG_20191202_084805266[1].jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It had a set of rubber grips on it. I worked on another gun yesterday, took it's grips off, and they (pins) are still on that one! It's rounded on one end, and hollow on other. Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Don't know what the pin is from. Does the revolver function correctly?
Look like you have a premodel 15, Combat Masterpiece, that dates from 1958. That is right around the time that S&W began to use model numbers. Is there a K preceding the serial number on the butt?

John

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Since Mark and John have ID'd your gun, I'll just comment that the pin looks like the shell ejector on a tip up. Is one of your other guns a .32 single action tip up? These pins mount under the barrel and are used to push out the empty cartridges when the cylinder is removed for reloading.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a K preceding serial number way on other side, of stirrup for rubber grips. It had wood grips in a box with it. I think the serial is in pencil, but I can't read all numbers for sure. Last four numbers are correct for sure!
Yes it functions fine now that hardened grease is out of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't had any .32 tip ups on that towel, last one before was a 686-6, but I don't see anything like that on it either. Gun before that, I don't remember

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Whats the other "springy" looking thing??

The pin looks like a roll pin for the original grip hole to me??
But series guy know more about these things. May not even be from you gun??

·
Premium Member
12,733 Posts
Here are parts listings and a diagram:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/smith-and-wesson-k-l-frame/parts.html

https://www.brownells.com/parts/Smith+zzxzz+Wesson/K+Frame/index.htm

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Pub/schematic/SmithandWesson_JKLNFrameRevolvers_schem.jpg

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/revolvers-sw/10-sw

I think number 35 the grip retention pin is possible, but you have a roll pin there. I can't tell dimensions from your photo. There are also some small pins involved with the hammer and it's retention and operation within the action. The point would tend to indicate that it indexes something dimpled. There is a pin that belongs with a spring in the yoke retention screw. Is that present in your gun already?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not the grip retention roll pin, it's smaller diameter than that, and rounded and closed end on one end and open like a roll pin on the other. It has nothing to do with yoke retention screw, on this gun that is just a flat ended screw, and that matches the yoke. I have been through schematics of this gun and a newer 686 that I had apart earlier. Both guns have been taken apart and internals completely taken back out, I just don't have a clue. I always use this towel to work on guns, last things I can remember are a Glock, and that is not from a Glock. I'm starting to think it will just be a mystery. This old gun had on rubber grips on it and maybe this pin may have just been inside. The inside of this gun looked like tar from congealed grease, I cleaned up, put back together, and it worked great. Came back inside, sit down and seen this pin. I've lost parts before, but never had an extra part! Thank You all for your suggestions. I got the gun cheap but spent too much time trying to figure this mystery part out!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
It may be a spare grip locator pin someone stored inside the grip. Don't know for sure.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
since you''re concerned about the etra pin, i'd be glad to take that old gun off your hands in case it's not safe until i figure out where to put the pin back in.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts