Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See my sig pic I have an 8 3/8 model 500, some on here have a 460. If you could pick one or own one what would it be, or what do you have?
I got mine because I needed to know, it’s a flatter shooter than yo would think..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
  • Neither. ..I have a 6" M629 and that's as much power I'm ever going to need in a handgun. None of my friends really want to even shoot it when I take it to the range. I shoot maybe 2 cylinders worth of magnum rounds after I've fired whatever other guns I've brought to the range to shoot. Recoil is about as stout as anything I'm ever going to fire.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love my 629 5 inch classic. Best wheel gun I own. Came across the 4 inch for a good price. I'll shoot it and then flip it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I have a 460V and a 6.5" 500. Of the two I like the 460 better. Very accurate and you have a lot of cartridges that fit.
45 auto rim
45 LC
454 Casull
460 mag

Reactions: Mjh and jeepnut

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've shot a friends 500, just to big for me, more power than I would ever need. I would go with the .460 if I was buying an X frame because of the variety of ammo you can shoot in it. If you down-power the .500 why not just shoot .44 magnum? I do have a 29-3 with an 8 3/8 inch barrel and shoot magnums and specials out of it with no problem. Of course I do believe anyone should have any gun they want but I know you almost always loose money on selling a used gun that you end up not liking.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
BANG!!!!
Ouch...
BANG!!!!
Ouch....
BANG, BANG!!!!!
Ouch, Ouch....
That's enough.

·
Registered
434 Posts
  • Neither. ..I have a 6" M629 and that's as much power I'm ever going to need in a handgun. None of my friends really want to even shoot it when I take it to the range. I shoot maybe 2 cylinders worth of magnum rounds after I've fired whatever other guns I've brought to the range to shoot. Recoil is about as stout as anything I'm ever going to fire.
Seconded.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
BANG!!!!
Ouch...
BANG!!!!
Ouch....
BANG, BANG!!!!!
Ouch, Ouch....
That's enough.
Don't apply to the 460 XVR at all. No ouch involved. Way more ouch with a 29 44RM. The 460 XVR is my favorite hunting gun by far.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,690 Posts
I had an 8 3/8" and a 5" S&W 460 when I was working in remote areas with brown bear and moose. I sold them after I retired. My current largest caliber handgun is a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had an 8 3/8" and a 5" S&W 460 when I was working in remote areas with brown bear and moose. I sold them after I retired. My current largest caliber handgun is a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull.

View attachment 465169
Thatll do it mate..

thewelshm

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I think I picked up one once just to say I have. It's never occurred to me that I'd want one. I'm basically a K-frame guy, with a minor in "N's."

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Welsh,

Some time back, the BiL's Bride gave him a long (7-1/2"?) X Frame 460.

Is quite alright to shoot with the comp on.

***** cat with 45LC ammo.

If I were purchasing one, I would go the .460 route. For the availability of bullets. Plus, I already load 45LC.

I think a 300gr cast bullet at near to 1500fps is plenty of "Good Medicine" for most critters.

Not knocking the 500. Just think the 500 would be "pricier" for me to feed. LOL

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
I had a 4" 500, and actually liked shooting it. 5 Rounds, and I was done though. Too loud, and pretty stiff recoil, but really not all that bad.
I sold it for a hefty profit, so no harm done. I really want a long barreled 460 VXR.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
First and only experience with one was a used 3" .500 like Paul's. It had the whole survival/emergency kit too. Fondled it and mulled over whether too pay the $495 the shop was asking but passed. Shortly after I found out just what an X frame was all about and how much they were worth. Next trip back to the shop it was marked up to $995. I guess they figured out what it was too.
As far as my opinion goes... it's time for a Dirty Harry remake!

John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts