Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Here in Arizona, I'd say a 4 inch K, L or N frame .357. I carried a 4 inch model 28 for quite some time and had no problem. In other parts of the country, a 44 Magnum,, or larger, might be a better choice. Now days, I go a bit lighter but stick with .357

Registered
Pavia, Nice 18, and holster! I probably could not bring my self to carry that.. Too nice for me. :)

A 22 would be great, and if I went that route, it would be my Ruger MK series with the 4.5 inch barrel, and a bot of ammo in my pocket.

I dont hike much... but have carried a 64 police trade in, that I purchased pretty cheap 3 or 4 years ago. The all weather finish, is tough, and for some strange reason it just shoots really well.
It carries nicely in a pancake style holster, with a Police style speed loader pouch, on the other side. Gives me 18 rounds on board.
The speed loaders are a bit larger than I prefer, so a couple speed strips in a pocket would be better if I had any.
I also have a Hunter Holster and a leather cartridge belt that holds 25 rounds of ammo, that I could use, but for some reason I seldom do.
We dont have bears in my part of the country, so if it has 4 legs, its just a Cougar or Dog that might cause problems.
For other threats, and when traveling on my motorcycle its an old P series Ruger, with a cheap Nylon holster that holds an extra Mag. Usually dont carry in on my person, usually in a bag, on the bike, or the door panel of the truck.

I would like to have a 629 in a short barrel for a hiking gun in the wild west, where the bears live. A mountain gun would be even better, but I am just kidding my self. I probably wont ever hike enough to justify the cost of the gun.
Thought about on of the new 69's with a short barrel, but I have the feeling they would hurt like hell to shoot!

Fun discussion, and thanks for starting it!

Registered
Pavia, my answer would very dependent upon 鈥渨here鈥 these adventures take place! No matter where we are or what we carry.....it would be in a cross-chest carry rig. In many places across the US, it may be myRuger Mark II SS. Though, you said S&W revolver, so it would be the S&W 617.....that I do not own! :mad:If right here near home.....my .460 S&W, with a variety of hand loads for a variety of applications presented. It would be 鈥渟toked鈥 with 400 grain cast, with the other types available as wanted/needed! memtb

Reactions: jdavis

Registered
Pavia, my answer would very dependent upon 鈥渨here鈥 these adventures take place! No matter where we are or what we carry.....it would be in a cross-chest carry rig. In many places across the US, it may be myRuger Mark II SS. Though, you said S&W revolver, so it would be the S&W 617.....that I do not own! :mad:If right here near home.....my .460 S&W, with a variety of hand loads for a variety of applications presented. It would be 鈥渟toked鈥 with 400 grain cast, with the other types available as wanted/needed! memtb

Winner. When we camp in the state park, usually the 66-4 or 686. When we go to the national forest, the 460V. I don't like chest rigs so the 686 goes in a pancake, the 460V goes in a front break shoulder holster

Registered
I have to agree with those say that it depends on where one is hiking or camping. Pick your gun based on the situation you are likely to be in. In my neck of the woods, I carry my 2.5鈥 model 66 which will handle most any unfriendly critter that I鈥檓 likely to meet. I grab my 4鈥 629 if I fear an encounter with the local panther or black bear population.
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Trigger Ammunition Revolver

Registered
black powder shooter 馃槑
around here, mostly for local fishing, trail walking, etc.. a M650 22mag with a mix of snake and hp
I like the retro banana grips for a bit more hand on the J frame..

if im going a bit more north into the mountains however, the 32 mag with a cross draw will get the nod for a daytrip..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
around here, mostly for local fishing, trail walking, etc.. a M650 22mag with a mix of snake and hp
I like the retro banana grips for a bit more hand on the J frame..

View attachment 490258

if im going a bit more north into the mountains however, the 32 mag with a cross draw will get the nod for a daytrip..

View attachment 490260
Beautiful choices

My camping area is more squirrel than grizzly 馃槉

But some of those squirrels are like Vietcong sappers... sneak right up on ya lol

Registered
I'm usually carrying my Ruger LC9s these days, that I bought to replace my M-36 .2" 38 Spl. which I gave to my wife. I load it a little heavier, with Winchester White Box 9mm. 147 Gr. JHP. It is similar to the .357 Winchester 158 Gr. JHP , that I carry in the M-66-1 2 1/2". The recoil and penetration are about the similar. Bob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts