Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 14 year old nephew, a friend and his 9 year old son out for an afternoon of shooting today. I wanted to give my new Springfield Armory 1911 another good workout, but brought my 15-22 and Ruger SR22 pistol along because I knew the kids would like to shoot them. The 1911 once again performed flawlessly through 50rds of Winchester white box 230gr ammo, and another 50rds of Speer Lawman 185gr. This pistol is an awesome shooter, and puts a hole exactly where you hold the sights. My buddy brought his Hi point 995TS, 9mm carbine, and put his first 10 shots into a 2 inch circle with open sights at 35 yards. We shoot in a shale pit off an old logging road, so we are limited to about 40 yards for our farthest targets. My friends 9 year old son took a liking to my SR22 pistol, and shot 70 rounds through it. He asked if he could unload one of my Pro mag 32 round magazines for the 15-22, and put the ammo in one of the short 10rd mags for the rifle, and the two SR22 magazines so it would take longer to shoot. The two boys made short work of the other 180 rounds I had loaded up for the 15-22 and sent numerous bottles and cans flying. We ended with a 100 rounds of 9mm through my friends and my SR9c's, and a box of bird shot through his new Mossberg 500. In all we polished off 100rds of 45, 150rds of 9mm, 270rds of 22, and the 25rds of 12 gauge. There might be an ammo shortage, but there was no shortage of fun here in NW Pennsylvania today.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Great to hear Jonesy! I always like reading about someone taking kids out for a good day of shooting. And, good to hear that Springfield Armory is working out so well!kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dad has had my nephew shooting since he was old enough to pull the trigger. He started out with a 22 Cricket and can drive nails with it. Now the lad, at 6 feet tall, 200 lbs and size 13 shoes has kinda out grown the cricket, but he handled the 1911 with no problems. I wish I had those 14 yr old eyes again.... I'd show them kids a thing or 2. My friend later informed me that his son said he's got to get one of those SR22'S. The kid liked it better than my 15-22. Sounds like he's gonna have a handgun shooter. It's great taking kids out to let them experience the thrill of shooting, and help counter the gun hate you know they get in school.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
I know the feeling Jonesy814, there is nothing like taking a child out shooting. When I take my Grandsons out I do not know who has the bigger Smile, them or me. In fact I can't wait for the weather to clear up (either snow or rain for the last 3 weeks here) to take them out and let them shoot my AR15.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When we were done my nephew gave me a big hug. Darn near snapped my spine. His dad got into drugs and up n left a little over a year ago. He hasn't seen his dad since. Between me and my dad, we try to keep him on the right path. A 14 year old the size of this kid could get into a lot of trouble without a dad to keep him in line. I love taking him out to the range, but really feel bad about his situation. Back in Dec. he was really hoping his dad would call on his birthday, but of course the scumbag didn't. His dad is 6'3, about 230lbs, and into injectable drugs. He is part of the reason I am armed at all times

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
When we were done my nephew gave me a big hug. Darn near snapped my spine. His dad got into drugs and up n left a little over a year ago. He hasn't seen his dad since. Between me and my dad, we try to keep him on the right path. A 14 year old the size of this kid could get into a lot of trouble without a dad to keep him in line. I love taking him out to the range, but really feel bad about his situation. Back in Dec. he was really hoping his dad would call on his birthday, but of course the scumbag didn't. His dad is 6'3, about 230lbs, and into injectable drugs. He is part of the reason I am armed at all times
You're a GOOD MAN, Jonesy! Taking some kid under your wing, in those circumstances, will get you some "good karma" coming your way, and a special place in the line at the Pearly Gates.....

Mentoring some youngster is how they STAY on the straight and narrow, and these days, there are SO many more dangers out there to suck them down.....When I was growing up in the late 60's/early 70's, it was beer, marijuana & pills, and "Devil Music" (what my parents called "Rock'N'Roll")....Now, it's Crack, Meth, "Bath Salts", violent rap and video games, social diseases that have NO cure, etc......My Parents never knew how LUCKY they were, when I was growing up, that there were POSITIVE Male influences in my young-adult life (my girlfriend's best-friend's Beat Cop Father, at the TOP of the list!), that made me WANT to succeed.....

DocZeus
AKA
The "God Bless Ya, Jonesy!" One....

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Doc, I'll keep the kid busy so he wont have time for trouble. I'm thinking he will be my lawn mower this summer, with going out plinking for his reward. He really likes to shoot and is pretty good. In a couple years he will be able to join our schools trap team. I've let him borrow my mossberg 500 for small game a couple of times and he likes it. We are lucky enough to have a school that allows a trap team.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Jonesy, took my 11 year old grandson out today for the first time. Got introdued to the world of shooting and he loved it as well as I !

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Great stuff.

Prayers up fer your NEPHEW!

·
Registered
11 Posts
God bless you all..I was raised with firearms and a Dad who was my hero and taught me by example, my kids also were taught about firearms and went shooting at early ages and I taught them by example the way my Dad taught me...they grew up to be loving respectful God fearing adults, my daughter is due in a couple of months with our first grandchild..cant wait to take him or her shooting..I am a firm believer in the family that shoots together stays together..its worked in our family for generations..something everyone can do together regardless of age or sex ..it teaches so much and helps to keep us a tight knit family.
I am sure you all are seeing and experiencing that with your families..God bless you all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts