Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a shooter grade Terrier for a long time. Couldn't bring myself to pay what sellers wanted for them. This one isn't perfect, and I wanted to pay about $350, but I threw the starting bid at it and that was all it attracted.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =127239440

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think you did good. You don't see them everyday.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Congrats. I don't believe I have ever seen one in person; looks like it will be a fun shooter.

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Nice looking little revolver, Sir.

{Dumb question allert}

What is the difference between this Terrier and the average J-frame? What makes this little gun unique? Is it one of the old I frames?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The early (pre-model number) Terrier isn't built on the J frame, it's the I frame which is smaller (look at the photo, the cylinder and frame are too short for the 38 Special). The Terrier is smaller and lighter than the Chiefs Special. I plan to work up some self defense loads for the 38 S&W and try this out as a carry piece. I have been playing with this caliber for a couple years and was surprised at how close to the 38 Special it can be loaded. I feel confident that I can get the 38 S&W at least to 38 Special +P level and maybe a bit more.

Update: Did some preliminary research and found a load listed that uses a 357 125 JHP at 972 FPS. That's faster than factory 38 +P. That small case is very efficient.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
SP,
As nice as that Terrier looks, I suspect a lot of the minor surface crud will clean off.
You made an excellent buy, IMHO, and hey...it's a northeast Ohio gun, so what's not to like?
Don
;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
A couple of years ago a local gun store had a Terrier for about $130. It had terrible corrosion on the right side of the barrel but was otherwise fine. The store manager said he believed that someone had committed suicide with it. That freaked me out (as we used to say) and I passed on it. Really wish I hadn't, now.

SaxonPig, I hope you post in the reloading forum about your .38 S&W load development. That short .38 is a sentimental favorite of mine.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello S.P.
Nice Looking Terrier you have there. I surmise you know that the .38 S&W has a slightly Large diameter Bullet than the .38 Special being .0361" Rather than the .38 special Bullet which is .0357" In Diameter ? The Cartridge came out back in Black Powder Era being 1877 and was designed for Weaker Top Break Models. It's average Velocity was 767 F.P.S. Using a 158 Grain lead round nose Bullet. I would not reccomend attempting to reach the more Potent .38 Special velocity with this revolver as it may come apart not being designed to take the Higher Pressures of the .38 Special Cartridge. I have one I Bought from a 89 Year old Widow that used to belong to her Husband shown below. I Gave her what she asked for it being $200.00 Two years ago. If you intend on reloading for it, which is the most reasonable way to feed it as Factory ammo for this round will be over $40.00 Per Box of 50, I can share some extra Brass I have on hand with you..Just P.M. me if you Need it..You can Buy lead Bullets designed for this round which are the Most reasonable way to go if you are going to reload as the smaller .0357" Bullets being Undersized will fire through it but will Not be Accurate... Hammerdown

G

·
0 Posts
Great buy. I tried using 158 Gr cast RNFP, and crimping in the regular crimp groove, which was recommended on another forum. 3.1 Gr 231. Didn't chrno the load, but was hot enough the cases had to be "tapped" out of my Regulation Police. I intend to put the 38 S&W cylinder back in my Pre Victory and try them there and see if get the same result. My concern was the seating depth with 158 Gr bullet. That leaves very little case capacity. What bullet do you plan to use?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts