Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a K-22 made in 1952. Yesterday I noticed that when the cylinder is pushed back into the frame, it sometimes rolls clockwise a bit without locking up. I looked at the bolt when this was happening and it looked like it wasn't coming up all the way. Then with the cylinder open I pressed down on the bolt and it seems pretty weak. Other times, it comes right up and locks up tight. Does the bolt have it's own spring, or a separate one? It this fairly easy to get to in order to fix it?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yup , sure does , and Yup , on a 1952 it's easy.
Your gun should have a screw in the front of the trigger guard. Pull it out then remove a very small diameter spring and plunger. If hard to get out I have snagged them with a tooth pick or a paper clip.
Maybe hard to find a replacement so try a VERY LITTLE stretch on the spring and reinstall .
That ought to do it.

Also try a little oil down in the Bolt hole. Then pump it up and down a couple of times. Might just be a bit gummy.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Hey RR,

I would bet that the insides need a good cleaning. Take it apart...DO NOT PRY on the blamed SIDE PLATE! Carefully remove all the internals. Dump 'em in a bucket of ATF for a week or so, along with the frame. Soaking is good!

Then you can clean out the spring tunnel for the bolt. (bet you a cup of coffee it is filled with "gunk" and such) LOL

Wipe it all down good.. Put it back together, and shoot it for the next 70yrs.

You may want to buy/make a rebound spring tool

I made mine out of a welding rod.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

Actually, when I hadn't heard from anyone by lunchtime, I got real brave and decided to see if that trigger guard screw had anything to do with the tension on the bolt, so I took it out and by golly, there was less tension than before. So...……….I got even braver and took the sideplate off, just like someone told me by tapping on the opposite side of the frame. Then I could see the connection between the screw and the bolt base. So then I got a toothpick and pulled out the spring, then shot some cleaner up the hole and by golly again, out came the plunger! It was just like you guys told me, except you hadn't yet! I cleaned everything up real good,(actually the only real dirty part was the plunger hole) put it all back together and she works great now. Thanks for all the help. If I hadn't been so anxious to get it done, I might not be so proud of myself tonite, for figuring it out on my own.
Thanks again for your responses.
RR

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Hey RR,

We are so glad to be of help!

Most likely, there are/were a dozen "lurkers" who have benefited from your thread!

Send pics. We love pics of fine revolvers!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Hey RR,

That is a really swell looking K 22!

Bit of a turn line, touch of muzzle wear ............. from a lifetime of bringing some/few folk pleasure.

Shoot it well & often!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mark,

I love having the original box with it too. I open the box and look at it, and think about what it must have been like for the original owner in 1952 to go into some gun shop somewhere and point at that gun and say" I'll take that one".
I sure do enjoy shooting it and taking care of it, as I do with all my Smiths. I inherited a couple others from my Father-in-Law, and he kept them in pristeen shape. Thanks again for all the help from all you fellow shooters.
Jim

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
K 22 ENJOYMENT!

Hey Jim,

May have been a hardware or variety or General Store? May have been ordered direct from the Factory? :cool:

Bet it shoots better than most firearms made today!:D

Fit & finish is "superlative"!

The 5 screw is circa 1950. Mislabeled the pic of the three screw. It is circa 1978 (bought it new, when I turned 21):D

Later, Mark

Attachments

Reactions: series guy

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Yup , sure does , and Yup , on a 1952 it's easy.
Your gun should have a screw in the front of the trigger guard. Pull it out then remove a very small diameter spring and plunger. If hard to get out I have snagged them with a tooth pick or a paper clip.
Maybe hard to find a replacement so try a VERY LITTLE stretch on the spring and reinstall .
That ought to do it.

Also try a little oil down in the Bolt hole. Then pump it up and down a couple of times. Might just be a bit gummy.
FYI - Replacement springs are available from Wolff Gun Springs... the cylinder stop springs meant for the newer "3-screw" guns, the XP (Extra Power) spring #17185, which are longer than the standard spring, will work in 5-screw guns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts