Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Specifically a model 586-8. Just took receipt of the most beautiful firearm I have ever owned and am in love. Been doing a lot of research on care and maintenance since ordering and have learned that, like any other subject, there are many opinions and a lot of them are completely opposing to each other. Like Flitz. Some say best ever, some say it will ruin your gun. I have cleaned many a semiautomatic pistol, AR15 and a shotgun but this is my first blued revolver. Renaissance Wax is mentioned a lot but so is it’s cost. I have read a little about neutral paste wax shoe polish with carnauba wax which is much cheaper. My question for those much more experienced than me is: Is waxing a blued revolver beneficial and if so which one?
If this belongs somewhere else in the forum my apologies.

·
Registered
33,107 Posts
Flitz is an abrasive; I would avoid it. RW is an excellent product; museums use it on fine furntiure and art objects; it is not expensive and a tiny jar will last you a lifetime. I also use RemOil sprayed on a rag and wipe it down. That rag never gets washed so it is now impregnated with years of oil and leaves a nice thin shiny coating. Where I live, humidity is a nasty fact of life, so all my guns in the safe are in those silicone socks

·
Premium Member
21,705 Posts
You can wax your gun or not. Just wiping it with an oily rag is usually sufficient if it is stored in a silicone sock or rug as Abby'sDad mentions above. You usually don't need to take exceptional measures unless you intend to store the gun for an extended period.

·
Registered
black powder shooter
4,287 Posts
i regularly use RenWax on guns that will be sitting in the safe for a while. if they are in the 'going to the range' pile then regular clp like ballistol to clean them and Rem Oil to freshen them between cleanings..

Save the Fitz (or mothers mag) for light use on Nickel (or polished stainless) followed by RenWax ..

silicon socks on all my guns, short and long . dont buy the cheap ones like from midway, etc
get these (or similar)

Bore Stores

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
Never waxed any of my firearms (and I have a few), ever. Come to think about it, don't wax my car or truck either. In fact I don't possess any wax of any kind.. Ear wax maybe....lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input! This is exactly what needed and why I joined this forum. Looking forward to the future help. Happy shooting!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
9,522 Posts
Best I've seen for long term storage is wrapping them in Nox paper then into the sock. Else it's just the oily rag.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Interesting. Never heard of renwax but after some research it may be something to try out on some of the crazy thing I display. Bayonet’s, swords, odd bits of metal crap such as my 155mm shell splinter that happened to land at my feet one day.
I might try it on some of the firearms also. I am an odd duck and love to see my guns and refuse to lock them away in a safe ( no kids in the house anymore and most folks don’t like me so not many visitors, so that’s not an issue). I also live in a area where non-residents garner a lot of attention. So theft is not a huge concern. Also helps that I am usually home. Anyway thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I use Ballistol for cleaning after the range use.
I use Lucas Gun Oil on all the parts you don't see and Mothers Mag Polish on the parts you do see.
Works great on eliminating fingerprints from handling.
Keeps all of them looking like the day I bought them.

Reactions: Charlie686

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live on the Florida Gulf Coast. My 300+ bayonet collection lives in my non-climate controlled garage. I've used Ren Wax on them for years and have zero rust problems. I also use it on the machined surfaces of my woodworking equipment like table saw and jointer. I've been using it on leather items, edged weapons, guns and tools for well over 30 years and am on my 2nd 200ml can.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts