Smith And Wesson Forums banner

WARNING - Remington Thunderbolt .22 ammo

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Bob K 
#1 ·
FYI - My shooting buddy, John was shooting Remington Thunderbolts through his Remington 121 when a round malfunctioned and jammed his rifle. A quick trip to our gunsmith and after about 20 minutes he had the jam fixed. The Thunderbolt brass "exploded" through the firing pin strike on the primer which prevented the shell from being ejected. (The metal was visibly protruding from the bottom of the shell.)
Our gunsmith's evaluation: The brass was too thin and we should stay away from Thunderbolts if we value our firearms (fingers, hands and eyes). Thought I should pass this experience along as a forewarning.

#3 ·
Bought some 35+ years ago when on sale at the local K-MART-- several bricks it was. Most DIRTY stuff I have ever seen before or since. Thought I would never use it up. Cured me of promo-ammo for life. Have never bought any Remington LR ammo since. jhgva;o kjbnfafo lkngf

#4 ·
J.R.,
I did the same thing years ago !
Couldn't seem to use that brick fast enough, and it was dirty as sin.
Can't remember it being particularly accurate (or not accurate), but it doesn't hold a candle to CCI or Fiocchi.
You do indeed get what you pay for.
;)
Don

#5 ·
I quit buying Remington rimfire ammo several years ago due to the poor quality control (misfires, total duds, poor accuracy , etc.....). I'm really not surprised to hear about the exploding round. I don't think it is only the "thunderbolt" rounds that are suspect. I found ALL of their rimfire rounds to be poor quality. :cry:

Don

#7 ·
onenut58 said:
I like the remington yellow jackets but there bulk stuff is junk. I buy the federal for the bulk plinking.
I have a brick of those, bought about the same time as above-- I think there are maybe 3 boxes gone. :roll:

#8 ·
onenut58 said:
I like the remington yellow jackets but there bulk stuff is junk. I buy the federal for the bulk plinking.
+1 for the Federal bulk stuff. That is ALL I shoot in my S&W revolvers, as the Remingtons seem to have to be forced into the chambers whereas the Feds do not. Now if Wal-Mart would just have some in stock when I go there....I may have to drive to the PahRUMP, NV Wal-Mart (as one nut suggests) and buy some there! ;)

#9 ·
Woa no the people in vegas got wind of ammo in pahrump and cleaned it out. Just a few days after I ran my mouth about all the ammo that was still in the local walmart.The guy at the counter was telling me they had a two day run and there was nothing left but 3 boxes of winchester 44 mags and a few scattered 50 round boxes of 22 long rifle and three boxes of cci 22 mag. I bought the 22 mags.
So much for my weekly box of 550 bulk 22.

#10 ·
I dumped all Thunderbolt ammo after clocking some and discovering how underpowered and erratic it is. Got something like a 200 FPS spread in high and low velocity. Total crap ammo.

#11 ·
I hate Remington ammo!!! But, if you buy the cheap bulk ammo, at a cheap price.....you get what you pay for!!!! I used to shoot Federal bulk ammo for years, but lately it seems to have gotten worse. I don't buy cheap ammo anymore. I go to WALMART.....and buy good ammo cheap!!! ;) Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.