Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Were commercial models in this caliber common? I know the Brits were buying anything they could get but the 6" barrel surprises me somewhat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting gun. It was shipped early Jan 1941. Where to will require a factory letter. I could have been a British purchase, either by the British Gov't Agent or a british dealer in Britain, as they were buying what ever S&W had available, or it could have been a private purchase by a citizen who then donated it to the " Donate a Gun for Britain" programs under way at the time. I obviously made it's way into British Military or Home Guard use judging from the multiple stampings, These proof stamps were reqired for commercial guns at the time, but as the war drew on they were dropped for military purchased guns and not applied until the guns were later sold as surplus and marketed in Britiain for commercial uses. An inquiry, with a photo, to the Imperial War Museum in London may get a reply telling you what the unit mark represented. Ed.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I actually put a very similar gun like that on layaway recently. It is the 5-inch barrel, but has the commercial blue finish. It was made in 1942.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Were any of the issue flap holsters made for 5" guns?
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
S.B. said:
Were any of the issue flap holsters made for 5" guns?
Steve
Hi Steve:

Yes, the 5" Victories had a special, and now very scarce, 5" USGI holster designed and manufactured for it. These were made by Boyt Saddlery and were all dated 1943. The photo below illustrates the example in my collection as compared to the similar holster designed for the 4" guns.

The pics from the first poster above have now disappeared so regrettably I can not see them.

Regards,
Charlie Flick
S&WCA #729
NRA Life
S&WHF

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
RdrBill,
Yes, your photos have 'done disappeared'.
Charlie, that's a fine photo montage you posted.
Glad to see you here!
Don
;)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Welcome, Charlie! I've never seen one of those holsters for a 5"!

I just realized that RdrBill pulled most if not all of his photos in nearly every post. :!: I enjoyed his photos and comments, but he must've gotten mad at something and fled somewhere else. :?: :|

xtm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts