Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was young my grandfather and I would go out into the hills of San Diego and cut staff's of manzanita. They made the best rattle snake thumpers a man could want. Then before long everybody wanted one of our walking sticks. Those were some great memories. :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
My friend had a beautiful set of sticks his dad brought back from Korea. I don't know what kind of wood they were but they were carved and very dense. They were perfectly straight and almost a yellow color. As a teenager I stayed at his house one night and we thought someone was trying to break in, he threw me one and we sat and waited for whoever to come through the door. It turned out to be his sister and her drunk friends, better than a burglar, I was a teenager(did I mention that).

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I'm not that old (60), that I need a cane, or worse yet, crutches....to get around! I stand on my own two feet. It's like training wheels. You need them at first.......but never again! (I hope!!!! :roll: ) :lol: Bob

·
Registered
592 Posts
Pierce,
Manzanita is beautiful wood! I don't believe I have ever seen a straight stick though. Must have had some 'old growth' down in SD.
You know what makes pretty good ones up here? Devil's clubs. Yep that same stuff you don't want to be ANYWHERE near in the woods. If you can find a straight stick of it cut it and -with gloves on of course - peel/whittle the thin bark/spikes off. The core is very light and when it dries it is very stiff. Nice combo for a walking stick. I'll show you one when I see you next week.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
I don't use one that often but they can come in handy when toteing a heavy load over swampy or uneven terrain. l;nfPNFIw

I've got a light 5' one made of Crape Myrtle and a dense 4' one made of Hickory. It started out as a Riot Baton from the late 1960's. weiweinp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts